This cheesy garlic orzo is made with just a handful of ingredients in under 20 minutes. A delicious main course or side dish option that is perfect for a large crowd.
If you’ve never had orzo before you need to run to the grocery store and pick some up immediately. Orzo pasta is super versatile, you can make orzo pasta salads or even serve it plain. My favorite way to prepare it is with cheese and garlic. A bowl of cheesy garlic orzo will hit the spot every single time.
How Do You Make Cheesy Garlic Orzo?
First, start off by melting 2 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook it for 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Stir in the fresh garlic and cook for 15-20 seconds. Add the orzo pasta and cook it for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. You want to get it nice and toasty. Season with salt and pepper, add the chicken stock and milk and let it come to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, stir in the mozzarella cheese, freshly grated parmesan cheese, remaining butter, and enjoy!
What Is Orzo?
Orzo is rice-shaped pasta. Although I prefer eating it as a side dish you may certainly enjoy it straight out the skillet on its own. You may also serve it white or red. Meaning you can mix it with some marinara sauce and enjoy it that way as well.
Top Tips and Recipe Variations
- Add as many veggies as you’d like. Some great veggie options include mushrooms, spinach, and chopped asparagus.
- Incorporate some protein such as shrimp, chicken, or sausage.
- Include any type of cheese you may have on hand. Although I highly recommend mozzarella cheese and parmesan to make the perfect creamy garlic parmesan orzo.
- If you don’t have chicken stock or chicken broth on hand, feel free to replace it with vegetable stock or water. If using water, add about 1 tsp of granulated garlic for extra flavor.
- Some truffle oil and fresh parsley would be a great addition to this dish.
This cheesy garlic orzo is so easy to make, I make it at least once a month. Plus, I always have all the ingredients on hand cause it requires very few. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Penne alla Vodla with Shrimp
- Creamy Garlic Salmon and Shrimp
- Vegetable Salad with Homemade Italian Dressing
- Creamy Smothered Chicken Thighs
Cheesy Garlic Orzo
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for garnishing
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onions until translucent.
- Stir in the fresh minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the orzo and cook for an additional minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the milk and chicken stock and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the parmesan, mozzarella cheese, and remaining butter.
- Check for seasoning and garnish with parsley.