This ensalada de pollo is a Mexican style chicken salad that will rock your world! Creamy, tangy, spicy, and sweet. Loaded with corn, peas, carrots, chicken, and potatoes. A quick and easy dinner option that can feed a crowd!
What is Ensalada de Pollo?
Ensalada de pollo means chicken salad. This specific recipe is a Mexican chicken salad that is super creamy and delicious.
- Chicken – you can use boiled chicken breast or store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- Potatoes – peeled, cooked, and chopped into bite-sized pieces.
- Corn – optional
- Scallions – not traditional, but I love green onions!
- Sour Cream
- Dijon Mustard – optional
- Vinegar – this will help to prevent the potatoes from over-cooking.
- Pickled Jalapenos – optional
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make
- Cook the chicken – boil the chicken in salted water for 10 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Cook the potatoes – peel and chop the potatoes into small pieces. Add the potatoes to a saucepan with cold water, salt, and vinegar.
- Drain the potatoes and shred the chicken using two forks. You can also dice the chicken if you prefer.
- Add the mayo, sour cream, and dijon mustard to a large bowl and mix well. Fold in the remaining ingredients and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy with lime, hot sauce, and cilantro, if desired.
What Can I Serve Ensalada de Pollo With?
- Tortilla Chips
- Lettuce Cups
- Hot Sauce
Can I Add Eggs?
Absolutely, in fact, I encourage it.
Place the chicken salad in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Add more mayo if needed, before serving.
Ensalada de Pollo
- 1 lb chicken breasts shredded or diced
- 2 medium potatoes
- 3 tbsp pickled jalapenos optional
- 1 scallion
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim and remove any excess fat from the chicken and then place it in a pot with water and salt. Cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through. Once the chicken is done cooking, shred it using two forks or dice it.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Place the potatoes in a pot with cold water, salt, and 1 tsp vinegar. Cook the potatoes until tender. This should take about 15-20 minutes. Once the potatoes are done cooking, drain them and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the mayo, sour cream, and dijon mustard. Add the scallions, pickled jalapenos, corn, peas, carrots, potatoes, and chicken. Mix well. Season generously with salt and pepper. Enjoy!