Well after many different attempts at Chili, let me tell you, this is the best chili I’ve ever made. Every single recipe I made in the past I used an entire bottle of beer cause there was no way I was going to omit beer from my chili. I played around with different spices and was ecstatic when I thought of Kashmiri chili. Now I know it’s not common to use Kashmiri chili in good ole American Chili but I like a deep red chili. I knew Kashmiri chili works magic on tandoori chicken so I said “why not” and just went with it. Best. Idea. Ever.
I also use an entire bottle of mild salsa. I think the best chili is made with canned tomatoes and canned beans. You can use any thing that will add flavor to your chili. You can use Tobasco, Worcestershire, unsweetened cocoa powder, canned green chilies, etc. You get the point.
I like to simmer my chili for 1 hour. Next day chili is the best! Make some Chili dogs as well. Yum.
- 2 1/2 lb beef
- 1/2 Vidalia onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 16 ounces of mild salsa
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 16 ounce can dark red kidney beans
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 16 ounce cans of chili beans kidney beans mild chili sauce
- 14.5 ounce petite diced canned tomatoes
- 1 bottle of beer preferably dark beer
- 1/2 Tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 Tsp paprika
- 1/2 Tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tsp Kashmiri chili
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cook the onions and peppers over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the beef, and cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Using a ladle, discard the excess oil leaving only about 1/4 of it in the pot.
- Add the granulated garlic, paprika, cumin, chili powder, Kashmiri chili, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the fresh garlic and tomato paste.
- Add the beer and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, mild salsa, diced tomatoes, chili beans, and kidney beans.
- Let it come to a boil then reduce to medium low heat.
- Cook for 1 hour or until the beef is fork tender.
- Check for seasoning and add salt if needed.
- Serve with sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onions, if desired and enjoy immediately!