These instant pot mashed sweet potatoes will be a hit at your Thanksgiving table this year! Without a doubt, a delicious side dish that’s incredibly delicious but super easy to make. Made with just a handful of ingredients in under 20 minutes.
What if I told you that I prefer my sweet potatoes super garlicky and buttery with a touch of cinnamon? You can omit the cinnamon and garlic if you like but I absolutely love the flavor it adds. If you like mashed sweet potatoes on the sweeter side then I would recommend adding a tbsp of brown sugar and using unsalted butter. I prefer to use salted butter and no sugar because I find sweet potatoes sweet enough.
Ingredient’s You’ll Need
- Sweet Potatoes – any kind of potatoes will work. Just make sure you peel them and cut them into 1-inch chunks.
- Whole Milk – heavy cream or any type of milk will work. Coconut milk is an excellent substitution if you want to make these vegan-friendly.
- Butter – I used salted butter but feel free to use unsalted.
- Garlic – please use fresh.
- Salt and pepper
Top tips for the Perfect Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- You only need to pressure cook the potatoes for 3 minutes and do a quick release. 3 minutes will cook your sweet potatoes perfectly every single time.
- Make sure to drain the potatoes.
- Once you’re done cooking and mashing the potatoes, press the “keep warm” function on the instant pot and that will keep them nice and warm
- You always want to pour the milk in slowly no matter what a recipe recommends. If their potatoes were smaller or larger then the outcome can vary. If you like them super creamy then you’ll need to add a generous amount of milk.
- Add fresh herbs. Rosemary, thyme, and sage are wonderful ingredients that will add lots of flavors and a nice pop of color as well.
- Do not overmix, overmixing can cause the sweet potatoes to lose their creaminess consistency.
- Add some marshmallows or crispy onions and bacon on top if you want some extra sweetness or saltiness.
- Add some maple syrup or honey.
Can I Make These on the Stovetop?
Of course, you can! These mashed sweet potatoes were made on the stovetop from start to finish and are just as delicious as these.
How Many People Does This Recipe Feed?
You’re most likely serving this as a side dish, therefore I would say 4 people. However, if serving this during the holidays keep in mind that there will be many other sides to choose from and people will probably eat a smaller portion. Ideally, a 1/2 cup will be sufficient for one person.
What Goes Well With Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
These mashed sweet potatoes will last for up to 3-4 days in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch chunks.
- Add the sweet potatoes and 1 cup of water to the instant pot and close it. Press the "pressure cook" function and cook for 3 minutes.
- Once the three minutes are up, do a quick release by unsealing the valve and releasing all of the pressure.
- Drain the potatoes and set it aside. Press the "saute" function and add the butter and minced garlic to the instant pot. Once the garlic becomes fragrant, stir in the cinnamon and cook for 5 seconds.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the instant pot and mash using a potato masher. Press the "keep warm" function. Add the milk slowly, while mashing. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!