Skip the grill during the colder months and make this air fryer steak instead! Extremely simple, quick, and perfect for prepping ahead of time. Naturally gluten-free and keto-friendly, with loads of flavor without searing.
I absolutely love it when the weather starts to cool off. However, what I don’t enjoy is that it gets harder to use the grill, which is the best for steak, in my opinion. I mean, with the grill, you can make a Grilled Shrimp Po’Boy Sandwich or Grilled Chicken Parmesan. The perk is that the grill provides such amazing flavor all on its own, with little effort. It feels like without the grill, you have to try harder to get that stellar flavor to come out.
Never fear, you can still have a deliciously prepared steak, even when it’s not much of an option to use the grill. Outside of using a cast iron grill over the stove, you can use the air fryer! I know, it sounds too good to be true, but I promise it’s not! It’s super-fast, can be prepared ahead of time, and has exquisite flavor every time.
How to Make Steak in the Air Fryer
- Season the steak – Remove the steak from the fridge and let the steak sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Air fry – Preheat the air fryer for one minute. Place the steak in the bottom of the air fryer basket and cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Garnish – Remove, immediately garnish with butter, and enjoy!
Top Tips for the Perfect Air Fryer Steak
- Add more seasonings – You don’t have to limit yourself to the seasonings I used. I kept it simple because a good steak doesn’t need a ton of seasoning. However, you could add some seasoning mixtures like Cajun Seasoning, Chipotle Seasoning, Italian, etc. Just to change it up.
- Use other steak cuts – You don’t have to stick with a ribeye steak. For air fryer steak recipes, you can usually swap out other cuts based on your preferences. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the size of the steak.
- Garnishing ideas – I love topping my air fryer steak with options like sauteed garlic, browned onions, butter, fresh herbs, etc. It adds a lot to the steak without taking away from the steak in general.
- Adjust the cooking time for rarity – Cooking the steak at 10 minutes makes it about medium/well. So, you can start at 6 minutes and work your way up for varying degrees of rarity.
- Is this keto-friendly? – Yes! This steak recipe is naturally gluten-free and keto-friendly. It sure doesn’t feel like it, but it definitely is. It’s great for meal prep as well.
Can I use Frozen Steak?
Technically, you can slap a frozen steak in the air fryer and it will cook just fine. However, flavor and texture, on the other hand, isn’t all that desirable. Of course, this is my own personal opinion. I definitely suggest using either chilled or room temperature steak for the air fryer. You will be a lot more thrilled with the flavor outcome if you do.
- Fridge – Store in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- Freezer – Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheating – Reheat using the air fryer, oven, or microwave.
What to Serve this with?
Oh man, the sky’s the limit when it comes to sides with steak. However, some of my favorites are Twice Baked Potatoes, Warm Honey Mustard Potato Salad, and Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Of course, there are too many to list, but you can never go wrong with potatoes, salads, vegetables, and bread as a side.
Air Fryer Steak
- air fryer
- 1 rib-eye steak boneless
- coarse sea salt to taste
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter optional
- Place the ribeye steak on a small cooling rack and liberally coat both sides with the coarse sea salt.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees for about a minute.
- Place the steak in the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. No need to flip.
- Remove and place butter on top of the steak and enjoy!