These soft, sweet mummy cookies are the perfect spooky treat for your Halloween party. Simple but tender shortbread Halloween cookies are coated and drizzled with pure white candy melts for a perfectly sweet Halloween goodie.
This time of year when all the baking is happening, I like to start the season with a spooky but cute cookie like these ones. This mummy cookie uses a buttery shortbread base infused with vanilla and cinnamon. It’s topped with adorable, and easy, candy melt coating and eyes for a fun, sweet cookie.
Between the tender bite of a perfectly baked cookie and the creamy white chocolate flavored coating, it’s a totally satisfying treat. You’ll want to have more than one, that’s guaranteed!
How to Make
Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
Add the sugar, vanilla, and spices and mix until just combined.
Form the dough by mixing half the flour and then half the milk, then repeating until a soft ball forms.
Wrap and chill the dough for 15 minutes while your oven preheats to 375°F.
Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface and use a floured cutter to cut circles.
Bake cookies 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet until edges just begin to brown.
Allow to cool completely on the baking tray before decorating.
Prep your decorations by melting the candy melts and setting aside 1/4 for later.
Decorate cookies by dipping into the chocolate, smoothing with a spatula, and adding eyes.
Create mummy wrappings by drizzling the remaining 1/4 of chocolate in horizontal lines.
Let cookies set before enjoying or storing.
Top Tips For The Perfect Mummy Cookies
For stronger vanilla flavor swap the extract for vanilla bean paste or the caviar of one whole vanilla bean.
Both dairy and non-dairy milk work here.
Grate fresh nutmeg for the best flavor.
Roll cookies out ¼ inch thick and cut with a 2-inch cookie cutter for 12 perfect cookies.
Make the dough up to 24 hours ahead, then let the dough come to room temperature for 45 minutes before rolling.
Use candy melts not white chocolate for pure, bright white, and easier decoration.
If you enjoyed these delicious and fun mummy cookies then you will also enjoy these M&M Cookies. These Italian Lemon Ricotta Cookies are also fantastic! You can also find other delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1 cup bright white candy melts
- 24 candy eyes
- With a paddle attachment in your stand mixer beat the butter for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla extract and mix on low speed for 1 minute, or until just combined.
- Keep your mixer on low and alternate adding the flour and milk, 1/2 of each at a time. When the dough forms a ball remove it and shape it into a disc. Wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll chilled dough out on a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch thick. Cut with a 2 inch, lightly floured, circle cookie cutter to form 12 cookies.
- Bake 1 inch apart for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are just starting to brown. Remove and let cool to room temperature on the baking sheet.
- To decorate, melt candy melts at half power in your microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted, or according to the package instructions.
- Set aside ¼ of the total melted candy in a small bag. Dip each cookie into the remaining chocolate and smooth with an offset spatula. Add two eyes per cookie while the candy melt is still wet.
- When all the cookies are dipped, snip the corner off the bag of remaining chocolate and drizzle each cookie with horizontal lines to create mummy wrappings. Allow to dry completely before eating. Store up to 2 days in an airtight container once dry.
Leave a Reply