Rich with warm and gooey chocolate chips along with all the M&Ms you can handle, these m&m cookies will be a hit. A great cookie that’s quick and easy, using basic ingredients from your pantry. Enjoy these with a cold glass of milk or hot cup of coffee!
I don’t remember a time in my life that I wasn’t aware of M&M Cookies, which I’m sure I’m not alone. They’ve been a popular cookie for countless years, at least in the US I know for sure.
Even if you’ve never tried this perfection of a cookie, I have no doubt you’ll love them! They are soft and chewy in the center and crispy around the edges. These cookies turned out great and I’m sure you’re going to love them.
How to Make M&M Cookies
- Prep – Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the batter – In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, combine both sugars, softened unsalted butter, vanilla extract, and room temperature eggs. Add the m&ms, chocolate chips, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Bake – Using a cookie scoop, place the dough on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Storage – Store the cookies in an airtight container in a cool, dry pantry for up to 5 days. It can be stored in the fridge in the same manner for up to 8 days. If storing in the freezer, separate cookies with wax paper and store in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
- Reheating – No need to reheat the cookies if they’re coming from the pantry unless you want to, then microwave for a few seconds, and that will do the trick. If reheating from the fridge, do the same thing. If reheating from the freezer, allow cookies to cool on their own and reheat in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Use different M&Ms – I usually use plain M&Ms for my cookies. However, you can use other flavors and styles if you prefer. I know that the caramel and peanut M&Ms go over really well in cookies. I bet the pretzel style would too – all of them are great!
- Make ahead of time – If you want to make the dough ahead of time, simply cover in plastic or place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 2 months. You’ll need to let it thaw a bit when coming from the freezer in order for it to be scoopable.
- Use different baking chips – Instead of chocolate chips, try using other chip flavors such as butterscotch, white chocolate, etc.
- Make a jumbo cookie in a cast-iron skillet, bake for about 20 minutes and serve warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, nuts, and chocolate syrup.
Can You Use Regular M&Ms for Baking?
You bet you can! I have seen some cookie recipes where the color from the candy will bleed just a bit. However, not many people notice or care. Some of the larger M&Ms tend to crack when baked inside a cookie. Not every time, but depending on how long they have to cook, they may not come out looking perfect. Again, this is something most people expect and it’s not a surprise or usually noticed.
How Do You Keep M&Ms From Cracking in the Oven?
There’s no way to really keep from having cracked M&M’s when baking them in the oven. The extreme heat is what causes the cracking. So, the only way to avoid it is to not put the candy in the oven at all, and press them into the cookie as soon as they’re taken out of the oven.
If you enjoyed this m&m cookie recipe as much as I did, feel free to let me know in the comments down below!
More Cookie Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Monster Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Italian Lemon Ricotta Cookies
- Double Chocolate Cookies
- Deep Fried Oreos
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (8 ounces)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups m&ms
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the unsalted butter, brown sugar, white granulated sugar, and vanilla extract for 1 minute.
- Add the eggs and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the salt, baking soda, all-purpose flour, chocolate chips, and m&ms.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, drop the cookie dough onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.