This pumpkin cake is super soft, fluffy, and topped off with the most perfect homemade cream cheese frosting. Fall is fast approaching and this is the only dessert recipe you’ll need!
Pumpkin desserts served in the fall is as American as apple pie. I think everyone should have at least 2-3 great pumpkin recipes. I really hope this cake makes it on your list because it’s so delicious. It’s super moist, easy to make, and requires just a handful of ingredients.
Real or Canned Pumpkin?
I used canned pure pumpkin. Not to be confused with pumpkin pie mix. The pumpkin puree has almost no taste, just 100 percent pure pumpkin. I highly recommend using store-bought pumpkin puree.
Can I Use Store-Bought Frosting?
The cream cheese frosting is what takes this cake to the next level. Homemade cream cheese frosting is super delicious and easy to make. Although, you can omit the cream cheese for a regular buttercream frosting if you’re not a fan of cream cheese.
How Do I Decorate This Cake?
Because this is a sheet cake, there’s only so much you can do in terms of decorating. I simply used an off-set spatula and some pumpkin candies to decorate this. Feel free to get creative.
- Use room temperature eggs.
- Do not overmix the cake batter or overbake the cake.
- Use a 9×13 baking dish for this recipe.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- Use softened cream cheese and softened butter to make the frosting.
The baking dish I used, came with a plastic top. If yours doesn’t have a top, leave the cake in the baking dish and cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil tightly. This cake will last up to 3 days at room temperature. In the fridge, if placed in an air-tight container, this will last for up to 5 days.
If you enjoyed this pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting then you will love these pumpkin cupcakes! This pumpkin cognac cheesecake is another fall favorite. You can also find other delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Add the eggs, oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until well incorporated but do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, mix the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix for 3-4 minutes or until fluffy.
- Make sure the cream cheese and butter are softened at room temperature for a fluffy cream cheese frosting.
- Don't overmix the cake batter or overbake.