Ropa Vieja always takes me back to my childhood. My cousins and I playing in the pool until my grandmother would call us in to eat, then we’d eat and wait for the ice-cream truck. Most of the time it was ropa vieja or rice and black beans with marinated steak or chicken. Whatever it was, it was always so delicious. Ropa Vieja means ” old clothes” and I honestly don’t know who gave it that name or which year this dish was invented, please don’t make me google. All I know is that it’s one of the most delicious Cuban dishes hands down. Shredded tender flank steak marinated in tomato sauce, onions, peppers, garlic, and spices there is no way you could go wrong.
Cuban Ropa Vieja
This traditional Cuban dish is packed with delicious flavors of spices, veggies, and tender flank steak. It’s a perfect family dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Cuban
- 3 lbs flank steak
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 packet sazon goya
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place Flank Steak in a pressure cooker and cover with water, cook for about an hour
- Using your fingers or two forks, shred the flank steak and set aside.
- Discard the water in the pressure cooker and drizzle some olive oil in it
- Add the chopped onions and peppers and let them cook until the onions are translucent
- Add the tomato sauce, fresh garlic, dry white wine, oregano, cumin, sazon, and salt and pepper
- Add the shredded beef and peas and stir
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for an additional 15 minutes
- Serve with white rice and Enjoy!