Sweet and Sour Shrimp is the ultimate busy weeknight meal! Made with delicious ingredients in under 30 minutes. Enjoy this with white rice or noodles.
Cooking quick and easy meals at home is the absolute best. It’s way better than take-out because it’s more economical and you know exactly what’s in the dish. This sweet and sour shrimp recipe is one of my favorite take-out style recipes.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Red Bell Pepper
- Pineapple Chunks
For the sweet and sour sauce:
- Rice Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Lemon Juice
- Orange Juice
- Olive Oil
How To Make Sweet and Sour Shrimp
Start by combining all of the sauce ingredients minus the corn starch and water. In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch and water. Fry the shrimp in a heated wok or skillet with some oil and cook the shrimp for 20 seconds on each side. Add the onions, garlic, and carrots and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the pineapple and red bell pepper. Stir in the sauce and let it come to a simmer. Finally, add the corn starch mixture and let it cook until the sauce is thickened. garnish with sesame seeds or green onions, if desired.
Can I Add Other Veggies?
Absolutely. Add as many veggies as you have on hand. I recommend adding peas, mushrooms, bean sprouts, etc.
Can I Use Chicken Instead Of Shrimp?
Yes, if using chicken, I recommend using chicken breast cut up in chunks. Keep in mind that chicken takes longer to cook than shrimp.
Hopefully you give this delicious sweet and sour shrimp recipe a try and enjoy it as much as I do. Although, I’m convinced the entire family will love this dish!
More Shrimp Recipe Ideas…
- Creamy Garlic Shrimp
- Spicy Honey Shrimp and Broccoli
- Southern Fried Shrimp
- Instant Pot Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
You can find more delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple sliced
- 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Whisk together the honey, vinegar, soy sauce, tomato paste, lemon juice, and orange juice in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch and water.
- Heat a wok on medium heat with 2 oil and stir fry shrimp for 20 seconds on each side.
- Add carrots, onion, and garlic and cook for another 1 minute then add the pineapple and bell peppers. Cook for about 1 more minute.
- Pour the sweet and sour sauce in the wok, stir and cook until simmering then add cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly until thickened. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply