The most delicious classic tuna melt sandwich that can be made on the stovetop or grill. Made with homemade tuna salad, cheddar cheese, and white sliced bread in under 20 minutes!
Let’s take it back to 2004 when my friends and I would go to Johnny Rockets and order Tuna Melts and milkshakes. Tuna, milk, ice cream, cheddar, what a combination but oh so delicious. I’ve been obsessed for years. I never thought I would share this recipe on my blog but here it is because it’s so easy.
What Kind of Tuna Should I Use?
I used Albacore tuna packed in oil but feel free to use any type of canned tuna you have on hand.
Can I Make a Tuna Melt Without Mayo?
You can simply replace the mayo with Greek yogurt or olive oil and lemon juice. Prepare the tuna salad however you like.
- Make sure to butter all sides of the bread generously. I would prefer sharp cheddar and sourdough bread for the perfect sandwich but feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- Cook on the stovetop over medium-low heat so that the cheese melts completely without the bread burning.
- If cooking on a gas grill, you can make this open-faced tuna melt style. Just add about a quarter cup of tuna salad and cheese to each slice of bread. Place it on the indirect side of the grill, close the lid, and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- You may certainly add a couple of tomato slices to this and a sprinkling of Italian seasoning.
If you enjoyed this tuna melt sandwich then you will love these ham and cheese sliders! This sloppy joe is another favorite summer favorite. You can also find other delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
- Two 5-ounce cans tuna
- 1/4 cup real mayo
- 1 tbsp sweet relish
- 2 tbsp scallions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- 8 slices of bread
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack
- Drain water from tuna and place the tuna in a large bowl.
- Combine the tuna, mayo, sweet relish, scallions, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Butter the bread on both sides and add a generous amount of cheese.
- Add 1/4 cup of tuna salad and sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Place the sandwich in a hot skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side over medium-low heat.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply