I filmed a video for these cupcakes almost 3 years ago and although the photos aren’t the best and the video quality isn’t great I’m still very happy I filmed it. This is my go-to recipe for vanilla cupcakes. I think I’ve used this vanilla base for 20 other cupcake recipes. Blueberry pancake cupcakes? I’m almost certain I used this base. Nutella stuffed cupcakes? Positive I used this recipe as well. I guess you guys can call me a cheater. Kind of. I’m just making the same cupcake over and over just stuffing it with different fruits and chocolates. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it just means that they’re that good!Print
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla paste
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- pinch fine salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Stir in the vanilla bean paste, vanilla extract, sour cream, vegetable oil, and milk.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until well combined, be careful not to over mix.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop the batter evenly into your muffin tin and bake for 14-16 minutes.
- To make the frosting, mix the unsalted butter for about 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, milk, heavy cream, a pinch of fine salt or 1 tsp lemon juice and mix for about 5 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Frost your cooled cupcakes with a piping bag or an offset spatula sprinkle some Nonpareils if desired and enjoy!