These apple fritters with caramel sauce are delicious, crispy, and fluffy. Loaded with fresh diced apples, fried til golden brown, and then drizzled with homemade caramel.
Nothing beats a small plate of apple fritters with caramel sauce. These can also be enjoyed with powdered sugar, vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream.
I used granny smith apples for this recipe but feel free to use gala or fuji apples. The gala apple works perfectly because it’s crunchy and super sweet. If you’re wondering what apple fritters taste like, just imagine an apple fried donut with caramel sauce on top.
How Do You Make Apple Fritters With Caramel Sauce?
To make the caramel sauce, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and cook until the sugar completely dissolves. Once it turns into a copper color remove it from the heat and stir in the butter and heavy cream. Mix until well incorporated. Place the caramel sauce into a heat-proof bowl and set aside.
To make the apple fritters, rinse and chop the apples and set aside. Heat some vegetable oil or peanut oil over medium-high heat and let it reach 375 degrees f. While the oil heats up, mix the eggs, milk, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add the all-purpose flour, cinnamon, and baking powder. Then, fold in the diced apples. Using a mini scoop, scoop the batter into the hot oil and cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fritters to a paper towel-lined plate. Drizzle with caramel sauce and enjoy!
Tips For The Perfect Fritters
- Make sure you chop the apples and measure the ingredients before getting started.
- Use peanut oil or vegetable to fry these. Olive oil will not work for this.
- Keep the oil at a steady 375 degrees F. If the oil isn’t hot enough the fritters will absorb too much oil and be very greasy. If the oil is too hot, the outside will cook too fast leaving the inside undercooked.
- Fry in small batches, do not overcrowd the skillet.
Do I Have To Serve These With Caramel Sauce?
Although I highly recommend making the caramel sauce from scratch you may certainly serve these with vanilla ice cream instead. You may also coat the fritters in a sugar-cinnamon mixture. To make the cinnamon-sugar mixture simply mix 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
Once you try these apple fritters with caramel sauce you’ll never want to serve them any other way! This recipe is perfect to make during autumn or any time of year really. Your guests will be thrilled when you serve these.
More Dessert Recipes:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted melted butter
- 2 apples
Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat some frying oil in a large pot over medium high heat until the oil reaches 340 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, and sugar until well combined.
- Add the all purpose flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Using a mini scoop or two spoons, scoop the batter and drop into the oil.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle with homemade caramel and enjoy!
- To make the caramel sauce, combine the water and sugar and cook over medium heat in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar dissolves, keep a close eye on it, sugar burns quickly.
- Once it turns into a copper color remove it from the stove.
- Add the butter and heavy cream and mix until well incorporated.
- Once the caramel thickens nicely and is lump free transfer to a heat proof container.