These easy baked chocolate donuts are super chocolaty and rich! Enjoy these with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk for the ultimate breakfast.
I was a bit hesitant to bake donuts at first because let’s face it, it’s cake. But none the less, these baked chocolate donuts are amazing. They were chocolaty, delicious, rich, and come on 8 minutes to bake, can you beat that?
These are the easiest baked donuts you will ever make.
What I love most about this recipe is that the donuts are super soft and fluffy. I made these donuts for a friend’s baby shower and they were gone in under 10 minutes.
Everyone wouldn’t stop raving about the chocolate donuts. So now I make these every time I attend a baby shower. If I haven’t convinced you to make these yet, just know that this is one of my most popular recipes on Youtube.
Kids love these donuts and they love helping to make these even more. I mean who doesn’t enjoy a freshly baked chocolate donut?
I made some munchkins as well, although I’m not sure if they’re technically munchkins because they have a hole in the center. Mini donuts?
The recipe is super easy and requires basic ingredients like flour, eggs, butter, and milk. No fancy ingredients needed. Although if you want to jazz it up you may use Madagascar vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract and European melted butter.
What’s in these baked chocolate donuts?
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for these rich and delicious chocolate donuts:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Whole Milk
- Unsalted Melted Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Powdered Sugar
- Sprinkles, optional
How to make baked chocolate donuts
- Here’s all you have to do to make these insanely good chocolate donuts:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the unsalted melted butter, eggs, whole milk, vanilla extract, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Do not overmix.
- Place the donut batter into a pastry bag and fill a greased donut pan 3/4’s of the way.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until fully cooked through. This will depend on your oven.
- For the chocolate glaze, place the unsalted butter, milk, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips in a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the powdered sugar and whisk until it is completely lump-free.
- Frost the donuts with the chocolate glaze and top with sprinkles if desired.
Recipe tips and variations:
- Place the donut batter into a piping bag and grease the donut pan well before piping the batter into the pan.
- Use room temperature eggs.
- Sift the unsweetened cocoa powder and all-purpose flour.
- Not a fan of sprinkles? Omit the sprinkles or top the donuts off with crushed walnuts, peanuts, or m&ms.
How long will these baked chocolate donuts last?
Place these donuts in an airtight container and store them at room temperature for up to 2 days.
More dessert recipes you’ll enjoy
Baked Chocolate Donuts
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp unsalted melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, milk, and melted butter, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients.
- Place the batter into a pastry bag and fill a greased donut pan 3/4s of the way.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- For the chocolate glaze, place the unsalted butter, milk, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips in a sauce pan and let it melt.
- Stir in the powdered sugar and remove from the heat.
- Frost the donuts with the chocolate glaze and Enjoy!