Apple Fritters can be served for dessert or for breakfast with a hot cup of coffee. As soon as that fall breeze comes around I think of these tasty puppies. Speaking of puppies, they kind of remind me of hush puppies. I could’ve topped them off with some confectioners sugar, that’s very easy and I usually do that if I’m feeling a tad lazy. You can also make a glaze with milk and confectioners sugar and dunk these in the glaze. Yum.
My personal favorite way is drizzling the apple fritters with caramel. Oh my YUM. I will provide the what I consider to be the best caramel sauce recipe down below. As soon as these come out of the fryer, you want to pack on the caramel. I didn’t want a sweet apple fritter so I added very little sugar. Therefore you must dunk these in either powdered sugar, glaze, or caramel. Hoping you go with the caramel.
These were incredibly crispy. Let me show you.
I would drizzle more caramel if I were you 🙂
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted melted butter
- 2 apples
Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat some frying oil in a large pot over medium high heat until the oil reaches 340 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, and sugar until well combines.
- Add the all purpose flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Using a mini scoop or two spoons, scoop the batter and drop into the oil.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle with homemade caramel and enjoy!
- To make the caramel sauce, combine the water and sugar and cook over medium heat in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar dissolves, keep a close eye on it, sugar burns quickly.
- Once it turns into a copper color remove it from the stove.
- Add the butter and heavy cream and mix until well incorporated.
- Once the caramel thickens nicely and is lump free transfer to a heat proof container.