My uncle’s wife who is Puerto Rican makes this every single year for Christmas. This and some pernil (roasted pork) go hand in hand. Definitely, add some beer or some dry white wine to your arroz con gandules. I suggest serving this with either roast chicken or pernil.
Arroz con Gandules (Rice & Pigeon Peas)
- 1 can pigeon peas (15 ounces)
- 2 cups rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 small shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3 tbsp sofrito
- 1 packet sazon
- 1 tbsp capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots, garlic, cilantro, and sofrito and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pigeon peas, rice, sazon, and stir continuously for 10-15 seconds.
- Add the white wine and reduce by half.
- Add the water and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the water evaporates and then reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Cook until the rice is fully cooked through and dry.