I kid you not, this was the most tender and juicy roast chicken I’ve ever made. I brined it overnight and make sure to take it out as soon as the thermometer read 165 F. I didn’t mind that the chicken had an uneven color. I’d rather have a tender and juicy chicken rather than a beautifully golden dry chicken.
It’s Monday, so I served this with a tomato cucumber salad and sauteed spinach. So good. Although this goes so well with white rice and lentils. The lemon that cooks in the cavity turns out super lemony and I love dipping the meat in that lemon juice. So good. Overall, I loved it and will make it every week if I could. So easy.
Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken
This tender, juicy chicken is super flavorful and delicious. Seasoned with rosemary and garlic and brined overnight, this might be the best roasted chicken recipe you’ll find.
- Prep Time: 4 hours, 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup salt
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 5-6 lb whole chicken
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 lemons
- 4 ounces butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sprig rosemary
- In a large pot combine 6 cups water and kosher salt.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the large pot and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry it with a paper towel and let the chicken come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix the softened unsalted butter, chopped garlic, the juice of 1 lemon, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the butter mixture under the skin and outside of the chicken leaving about 2 tbsp behind for basting. Sprinkle some extra salt on the skin.
- Cover the chicken breast with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Baste the chicken with the leftover butter mixture.
- Cover the breast with the foil, place the chicken back in the oven, while basting every 20 minutes.
- Uncover the breast after cooking the chicken for 45 minutes.
- Cook until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes covered before carving.