This recipe has been a family favorite for as long as I can remember. I always use this base recipe for all of my dinner roll recipes. It’s failproof. I caramelized the onions before adding it to the dough because I wanted softened onions.
You can serve these rolls with a bowl of pasta or make some sliders. These onion rolls are incredibly soft and airy. I can’t wait for you to try them.
The easiest and softest dough ever.
Slather some butter on top for extra yumminess.
These soft and fluffy pull-apart onion rolls are a game changer.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 150 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 ounces melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 5-6 minutes and season with salt.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, stir the yeast into the warm water ( about 120 degrees and let it sit for about 5-6 minutes.
- Once the yeast is nice and foamy go ahead and beat in the hot milk, sugar, melted butter, salt, and egg.
- Add the bread flour to the yeast mixture, and knead with the dough hook. Mix for 8-10 minutes until the dough is slightly tacky.
- Add the granulated onion and 3/4s of the cooked onions.
- Flour your work surface and knead the dough with your hands for a couple extra seconds
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it sit in a warm place for about an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Place the risen dough on your floured work surface and divide the dough into 12 pieces.
- Shape the dough pieces into dinner rolls by tucking the edges underneath.
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking pan and place the balls of dough spaced a little apart. Cover and let it rise in a warm place for an additional 40 minutes or until doubled in size
- Brush the risen balls of dough with the egg wash and top each roll with the remaining onions. Place in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 28 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Brush with melted butter and enjoy.
Keywords: onion rolls, dinner rolls, soft rolls, onion dinner rolls,