If you’re a soup lover then you will love this chicken ditalini soup! It’s packed with shredded chicken, carrots, celery, and ditalini. This is the best recipe to make when you’re craving comfort food!
I just love quick and easy recipes like this one! Much like my lemon chicken orzo soup, this version is loaded with flavor. I love to serve it with cheesy garlic bread on the side.
- Chicken – Although I used chicken breasts for this recipe feel free to use bone-in chicken. You can also use store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- Ditalini -Any type of short-shaped pasta will work for this recipe.
- Chicken Stock – If you don’t have chicken stock on hand, use water. If using water, make sure to season the soup with extra salt and pepper.
- Carrots – I used baby carrots because they’re so convenient.
- Spices – Use your favorite spice blend if you prefer. I used garlic powder, powdered chicken bouillon and Italian seasoning.
- Want to make this low-carb or keto-friendly? Omit the pasta, and you’ll have a delicious and healthy meal.
- If using water or low-sodium chicken stock, season the soup with lots of salt and pepper for the best results!
- Feel free to include corn, mushrooms, bell peppers, or the veggies of your choice.
- For extra flavor, serve with lemon, hot sauce, and/or parmesan cheese.
DO I HAVE TO SOFTEN THE ONIONS?
No, you may certainly throw all of the ingredients into the pot and cook until the chicken is fully cooked through and the carrots are fork-tender.
WHAT IS THE SERVING SIZE FOR HOMEMADE SOUP?
If you plan on serving this as a side dish, the serving size per person is between 3/4 and 1 cup. If you plan on serving this as a main course, plan on about 2 cups per person.
I highly recommend separating the ditalini pasta from the broth if storing leftovers. Otherwise the pasta will continue to absorb most of the liquid and you’ll be left with almost no broth. However, you can always add more water and salt the following day while you reheat the soup.
You can store this chicken ditalini soup in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE…
Tried this chicken ditalini soup recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook or Pinterest!
Chicken Ditalini Soup
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 10 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons powdered chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 celery stalks finely sliced
- 2 cups baby carrots sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, garlic powder, powdered chicken bouillon, Italian seasoning, and chicken stock. Increase the heat to high.
- Once it comes to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the 20 minutes are up, remove the chicken from the pot and shred using two forks or an electric mixer.
- Place the shredded chicken back into the pot along with the ditalini pasta.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the ditalini pasta is al dente. Turn off the heat and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the fresh parsley and serve warm.
Leave a Reply