This coconut tres leches cake consists of a sponge cake filled with a milk mixture then topped off with homemade whipped cream. Enjoy this with a cup of coffee or tea.
If you love good moist sponge cake, then this is the recipe for you. I served this cake with toasted coconut flakes but feel free to decorate it any way you wish. Making this cake from scratch is super easy and once you make this you’ll never look back.
How To Make Coconut Tres Leches
Start by sifting the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. You’ll want to separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar, vanilla extract, and 1/3 cup of milk until pale yellow. In a large bowl beat the egg whites along with the remaining sugar until firm peaks form. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and fold until well combined. Then, fold in the egg white mixture. Place the cake batter in a greased 9×13 baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until fully cooked through. Let the cake cool completely. While the cake cools, prepare the milk mixture by combining the evaporated milk, coconut milk, and sweetened condensed milk. In a small skillet, cook the shredded coconut flakes until nice and toasted. Poke holes all over the cake and then cover it with the milk mixture and refrigerate for 1 hour. To make the whipped cream, whip the heavy cream along with the powdered sugar and vanilla extract for 4-5 minutes or until it resembles whipped cream. Cover the cake with the whipped cream and toasted coconut.
Top Tips and Recipe Variations
- If you want to make this plain instead of coconut, simply replace the coconut milk with whole milk.
- Skip the whipped cream and serve it with fresh berries.
- Double the milk mixture if you want it extra moist.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
Luckily grandma was able to help get that shot. I wanted to show you guys the inside of this rich, creamy, and delicious cake. I hope you guys give this recipe a try. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them down below.
More delicious desserts you’ll love:
Coconut Tres Leches
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 5 large eggs separated
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 can cream of coconut
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until the egg yolks turn a pale yellow color.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk, set aside.
- In a separate bowl using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until firm peaks form. 5-6 minutes.
- Mix the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture until well combined, then fold in the egg whites.
- Place the batter in a buttered 9x13 baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat toast the shredded coconut, stirring frequently until nicely toasted.
- Whisk the cream of coconut, condensed milk, and evaporated milk.
- Poke holes all over the cake and drizzle the milk mixture all over and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the frosting, whip the heavy cream for 3-4 minutes or until it starts resembling whipped cream
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix for an additional 20 seconds.
- Frost the entire cake with the whipped cream, top with the toasted coconut, and enjoy!