I grew up eating hard shell tacos from *drum roll please* Taco Bell. So throughout my childhood, I was pretty much obsessed with crispy beef tacos. Homemade tacos just meant ground beef made by my mom served on store bought hard shells. I loved taco night growing up. It wasn’t until about 15 years ago that I discovered authentic Mexican tacos which are mind blowing. I love authentic Mexican tacos served on fried corn tortillas topped off with raw onions and cilantro. However, I still love these. I make them from time to time and it’s super simple to make so I usually make it on a week night.
These tacos are crispy with a shell that just gives the right texture to the meat. The easiest tacos you'll ever make!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup roasted green chilies
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup colby jack cheese for topping
- 1 to mato finely diced for topping
- 1/2 cup finely shredded lettuce for topping
- 8 hard shell tacos
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil. Add the onions and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for additional 20 seconds.
- Add the ground beef and cook over high heat
- Stir in the oregano, granulated garlic, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, bay leaf salt, pepper, roasted green chilies, and tomato sauce.
- Cover and simmer the beef over medium low heat for about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the colby jack cheese over the beef, cover and let it simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve on hard shell tacos and Enjoy!