I grew up eating hard shell tacos from *drum roll please* Taco Bell. So throughout my childhood, I was pretty much obsessed with crispy beef tacos. Homemade tacos just meant ground beef made by my mom served on store bought hard shells. I loved taco night growing up. It wasn’t until about 15 years ago that I discovered authentic Mexican tacos which are mind blowing. I love authentic Mexican tacos served on fried corn tortillas topped off with raw onions and cilantro. However, I still love these. I make them from time to time and it’s super simple to make so I usually make it on a week night.
Crispy Beef Tacos
These tacos are better than fast food tacos, but they’re ready in just as much time if not less. These tacos are crispy and crunch with a shell that just gives the right texture to the meat. Check out the recipe today!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup roasted green chilies
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup colby jack cheese (for topping)
- 1 tomato finely diced (for topping)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded lettuce (for topping)
- 8 hard shell tacos
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil. Add the onions and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for additional 20 seconds.
- Add the ground beef and cook over high heat
- Stir in the oregano, granulated garlic, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, bay leaf salt, pepper, roasted green chilies, and tomato sauce.
- Cover and simmer the beef over medium low heat for about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the colby jack cheese over the beef, cover and let it simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve on hard shell tacos and Enjoy!