This tuna noodle casserole is made from scratch with a homemade sauce and topped off with cheese and breadcrumbs. A comforting meal that is super easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time. Serve it with tomato avocado salad and homemade dinner rolls!
This delicious tuna noodle casserole is a perfect casserole for a potluck or a weeknight meal. No canned soups required for this recipe, this tuna casserole is completely made from scratch. Egg noodles coated in a homemade bechamel sauce then topped off with cheesy breadcrumbs and baked till hot and bubbly.
What Type of Tuna Should I Use?
For this recipe, I used canned tuna packed in olive oil. Feel free to use solid white albacore or canned. Make sure to drain the tuna well before adding it to the bechamel sauce.
What’s in Tuna Noodle Casserole?
- Egg Noodles
- All-purpose Flour
- Whole Milk
- Chicken Stock
- Granulated Garlic
- Cayenne Pepper
- Canned Tuna
- Frozen Peas
- Cheddar Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make – Step by Step
The best thing about this casserole is how flavorful and easy it is to prepare, here’s all you have to do:
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat (photo 1).
- Stir in the all-purpose flour and cook for 1-2 minutes (photo 2).
- Add the whole milk and chicken stock and cook for 35-40 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cayenne pepper, granulated garlic, salt, pepper, tuna fish, frozen peas, and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (photos 3 and 4).
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the cooked egg noodles to the sauce and mix until well combines.
- In a small separate bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, olive oil and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place the noodles in a 9×13 casserole dish and top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Top Tip: Check the bechamel sauce for seasoning after adding all of the ingredients and season to taste.
Can I Make This in Advance?
If you want to prepare this tuna casserole in advance, let the noodles and cream sauce come to room temperature and then place it in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight.
The day you serve this, let the noodles come to room temperature so it isn’t too cold when placing the noodles in the casserole dish. Top the casserole with the breadcrumb mixture and bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe Tips and Variations:
- Add mushrooms, spinach, and peppers to incorporate some vegetables.
- Want to make it spicier? Add pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar cheese.
- Cook the egg noodles for about 8 minutes or until al dente, it will continue cooking while it bakes in the oven.
- Feel free to add some rotisserie shredded chicken instead of canned tuna.
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounces Egg Noodles
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cans Tuna
- 2 cups Frozen Peas
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Drain the tuna and set aside.
- Place a large pot of water over high heat and season it generously with salt.
- While you wait for the water to come to a rapid boil, prepare the bechamel sauce. To prepare the bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter melts, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the whole milk and chicken stock. Stir occasionally and cook for 35-40 minutes or until it thickens.
- Cook the egg noodles for 8 minutes or until al dente.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season the bechamel sauce with granulated garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Add the tuna fish, frozen peas, and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese to the bechamel sauce and mix well.
- Stir in the cooked egg noodles and place the mixture in a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, olive oil, and remaining cheese.
- Top the casserole with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Leave a Reply