I’ve used this donut base countless times and it’s never let me down. I’ve made Nutella donuts, Vanilla cream, and Strawberry donuts using the same base because it’s that good. It’s a no fail recipe.
You can substitute strawberries with any fruit you’d like.
You probably have all the ingredients on hand so let’s get started.
I love dough filled with chunks of fruit. I see a blueberry donut recipe in the near future.
We’re going to let the dough rise, shape the dough into donuts and then let them rise again. It will all be worth it. I promise.
We’re going to fry these because fried donuts are the best donuts.
Feeling lazy? Want to skip the glaze? Powdered sugar works wonders!
Actually, don’t skip the glaze it’s delicious.
More delicious recipes you’ll enjoy:
Fresh Strawberry Donuts
- 2 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp strawberry preserves
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a large bowl, add the warm water and sprinkle over the yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes so it can activate.
- Once the yeast activates and becomes foamy add the milk, melted shortening, sugar, salt, eggs, strawberries, and 1/2 of the all purpose flour. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Add the remaining all-purpose flour and mix until the dough is smooth and slightly sticky.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover it, and let it rise for 2 hours.
- Lightly flour your working surface and knead the dough for a minute or two.
- Gently roll the dough 1/2-inch thick with a floured rolling pin.
- Cut donuts using a donut cutter or round drinking glass and then using a bottle cap or a small round circle cutter to cut the holes in the center.
- Cover the donuts and let them rise for 45 minutes.
- While the donuts rise, prepare the strawberry glaze. Mix the powdered sugar, strawberry preserves, and milk. Set aside.
- Heat some vegetable oil to about 350 degrees and then fry the doughnuts for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Coat one side of the donuts with the strawberry glaze and then garnish with fresh strawberry bits if desired.