These delicious honey lime chicken thighs are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Made with only a few ingredients in under 55 minutes!
Currently, this Creamy Smothered Chicken Thighs recipe is the most popular recipe on my blog so that tells me that you guys love chicken thighs. I don’t blame you, they’re my absolute favorite. I hope you guys enjoy easy and flavorful recipes as much as I do. If I can get a delicious meal on the table in under 60 minutes, I’m a happy girl. Summer is here and these chicken thighs go hand in hand with Hawaiian Macaroni Salad or Tomato Avocado Salad.
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe:
- Bone-in Chicken Thighs
- Soy Sauce
- Red Crushed Pepper
- Lime Juice
- Lime Zest
- Fresh Garlic
- Granulated Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper
No matter how flavorful the sauce is, I always season my chicken with a homemade rub.
You can refrigerate the seasoned chicken thighs overnight or let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
To make the sauce, just mix the honey, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, and red crushed pepper. If you don’t like red crushed pepper simply omit it. If you like it extra spicy, a splash of sriracha sauce would be fantastic.
Tips for the Ultimate Baked Chicken Thighs:
Pat dry the chicken thighs well with a paper towel. Remove all of the moisture so the skin gets nice and crispy.
Season the outside and under the skin as well for maximum flavor.
Overcrowding the pan will cause the chicken to steam and resulting in soggy skin.
Use a meat thermometer, every oven works differently, therefore, use a thermometer so you don’t overcook or undercook the chicken. Safe cooking temperature for chicken is 165 degrees F.
Roast the chicken for 20 minutes before brushing it with the honey lime sauce so the honey doesn’t burn. You want to only cook the sauce for about 15-20 minutes.
Can I use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs?
You absolutely can, however, I find that bone-in chicken thighs produce the best results for this recipe. If you decide to use chicken breasts, adjust the cooking time. Chicken breasts cook a lot quicker than bone-in chicken thighs.
How Long do I Cook Chicken Thighs for?
If you sear the chicken on the stovetop over high heat for 5 minutes on each side, your chicken should be fully cooked through after 35 minutes of roasting in a 400 degrees F. oven. However, make sure you use a meat thermometer.
More Delicious Dinner Recipes You’ll Love:
Honey Lime Chicken
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 6 bone-in and skin on chicken thighs
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 tsp red crushed pepper optional
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, granulated garlic, onion powder, and oregano.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, minced garlic cloves, red crushed pepper, lime zest, and lime juice.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet over high heat and cook the chicken on each side for 4-5 minutes.
- Bake the chicken for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, brush the chicken with the honey lime sauce generously. Do that every 5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through. I baked the chicken for a total of 35 minutes.
- Enjoy with fresh cilantro, extra lime, and rice!