The most amazing banana cake you’ll ever have! A super moist single-layer cake topped off with sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting.
Ever since I shared these delicious banana cupcakes you guys have been requesting a soft and moist banana cake. Well here it is, and I know for a fact you’re going to love it!
What Makes This Moist Banana Cake So Good
- It’s rich, decadent, fluffy, and absolutely delicious!
- You can easily customize this recipe, add walnuts or crushed peanuts for some crunch. Serve with whipped cream, sprinkles, caramel, or ice cream.
- It’s made entirely from scratch and requires ingredients you most likely have on hand.
- Serve it for breakfast, brunch, or dessert. Enjoy with a cold glass of milk or cup of coffee.
Ripe Bananas – You will need very ripe spotty bananas. The more brown spots, the sweeter the bananas will be. No banana extract is required! Don’t use frozen bananas.
Buttermilk – I highly recommend using store-bought buttermilk however you can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tbsp of lemon juice to 1 cup of whole milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes before using it.
Cinnamon – I love adding ground cinnamon but if you’re not a fan, you can simply omit it or replace it with ground nutmeg or pumpkin spice.
- Be careful not to overbake the cake. Doing so will cause a dry cake.
- Use room temperature eggs.
- Don’t overmix the cake batter. Mix just until the ingredients are well combined.
Can I Use A Different Frosting?
Of course, you can! Feel free to frost the cake with chocolate buttercream or the frosting of your choice.
What’s The Difference Between Banana Cake And Banana Bread?
Banana bread has a much more dense firmer texture than banana cake. Also, banana bread isn’t served with frosting.
Can I Use A Different Pan Size?
Although I highly recommend using a 9×13 pan for this recipe, you can use any pan size. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time.
This cake is good for 3 days at room temperature in an air-tight container.
More Banana Recipes
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Moist Banana Cake
- 3 ripe bananas mashed with a fork
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Set it aside.
- Mix the mashed bananas, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the melted butter and eggs and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Don't overmix! Mix until well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking dish and place it in the oven. Immediately reduce the heat to 275 degrees F and bake for 60 minutes. Don't overbake.
- Once the 60 minutes are up, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, mix the cream cheese, unsalted butter, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix on high for 3-4 minutes or until the cream cheese frosting is nice and fluffy.
- Frost the cake with the frosting and decorate with banana slices and ground cinnamon, if desried. Enjoy!