Queso dip made with real cheese in less than 20 minutes!
The other day a friend of mine text and asked me for some “game day” recipes. Immediately I thought wings. But then I started thinking that I really don’t have many party recipes. Well, I kinda do. I’ll list the most popular ones down below.
I realized I was missing a bunch of classic recipes. I can’t believe I’ve been blogging for years and never uploaded a queso recipe. Madness.
Most traditional queso dips include Velveeta, however, I decided to use cheddar and cream cheese instead. No regrets. The cumin and chili are mandatory here. Trust me. This recipe is perfect. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did and happy game day!
Don’t forget to watch this Queso Dip video tutorial down below!
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt some butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minutes, while whisking continuously.
- Add the heavy cream and reduce the heat to medium-low when it comes up to a boil.
- When the cream is nicely thickened turn off the heat and add the cheddar and cream cheese.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, dijon mustard, and then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately!