These smothered turkey wings are straight-up comfort food! They are seasoned to perfection, smothered in gravy, and baked til they fall off the bone.
If you enjoyed these honey-baked turkey wings, then you will love these smothered ones! They are packed with flavor and a holiday classic, although I make these year-round.
- Turkey Wings and Legs – I used both turkey wings and legs but feel free to use only turkey wings.
- Spices – A combination of paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder is what I used. Cayenne pepper adds a little bit of spice but feel free to omit it.
- Chicken Stock – Any flavorful stock works for this recipe although I really like chicken stock. Avoid using water!
- Hot Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce– Completely optional but adds great flavor!
- Heavy Cream – Makes the gravy extra creamy.
Top Tips For The Ultimate Smothered Wings
- It is crucial that you cook these wings for a minimum of two hours otherwise they won’t be as tender.
- If the gravy thickens too much, remove the turkey wings from the baking dish and whisk in some chicken stock and heavy cream last minute. The sauce will be very hot so there is no need to reheat it. Just make sure to check for seasoning.
- Make sure all of the turkey wings and legs are about the same size so they cook evenly.
- Allow the turkey wings to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
How Long Does It Take Turkey Wings To Cook?
These turkey wings cooked in the oven for a total of 2 hours.
Can I Add Veggies?
Yes, of course. Feel free to add mushrooms and peppers to the gravy, if desired.
What Can I Serve These With?
Rice or creamy mashed potatoes are ideal.
These taste even better the following day! Just make sure to place them in an air-tight container and refrigerate them for up to 3 days.
More Holiday Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Classic Cranberry Sauce
- Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
Smothered Turkey Wings
- 3.5 lbs turkey wings about 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup turkey drippings
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the turkey wings in a large bowl along with the olive oil and toss to combine. Season the wings with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Make sure to evenly coat them with the spices.
- Place the wings in a 9×13 baking dish and cover them with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Once the 1 hour and 20 minutes are up, remove the turkey wings from the oven and measure 1/4 cup of turkey drippings from the baking dish. You'll then want to prepare the gravy.
- Add the butter to a skillet and allow it to melt. Once it melts, add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes while whisking continuously. Whisk in the turkey drippings, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce, and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 6-7 minutes while whisking frequently.
- Add the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the gravy over the wings and make sure to cover the wings with the sauce. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until the turkey wings are nice and tender.
- Right before serving, spoon the gravy all over the wings and enjoy!