I can’t believe this was the first recipe I ever shared with the universe. Mac and cheese will forever be one of my favorite meals. My mom thought I would get over it once I grew up, but no. Still not over it. Now I’ve transitioned over to truffle and lobster mac and cheese. Who know’s what varieties will come up 20 years from now.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a million pretty pictures to share with you guys because I didn’t really care about photos in 2012. I just wanted to upload the video on Youtube and call it a day. I would love to recreate this blog post with lots of nice and cheesy photos. The kind with the stretchy cheese. Ahh. But for now here is this amazing recipe and video tutorial. Hope you enjoy my first video ever 🙂Print
4 Cheese Mac and Cheese
A simple fail-proof 4 cheese mac and cheese recipe.
- Yield: 6 people
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Box Macaroni 16 oz
- 3 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Muenster
- 1 Cup Gruyere
- 1/4 Pecorino
- 1/2 Stick of Butter
- 1/4 Cup of Flour
- 4 1/2 Cup of Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste (I used 1 1/2 tsp of salt)
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mustard
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Optional: 2 tbsp truffle oil and some buttered breadcrumbs for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt generously.
- While the water comes up to a boil, melt the butter in a skillet and then add the all-purpose flour.
- Whisk the all-purpose flour and melted butter over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens.
- While the sauce is thickening cook the macaroni according to packaging instructions.
- Once the sauce thickens, stir in 3/4’s of the 4 different kinds of cheese, leaving some behind for later.
- Season the cheese sauce with salt and granulated garlic.
- Add the dry mustard.
- When the pasta is almost done cooking, drain it and add it to the cheese sauce.
- Place the macaroni and cheese sauce in a greased casserole dish and top it off with the remaining 4 kinds of cheese.
- Add truffle oil and buttered breadcrumbs if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.