Sopa de Fideo also referred to as Mexican noodle soup is a delicious and easy soup made with just a handful of ingredients. You can adjust this recipe any way you like. Enjoy this with a side of tostones or saltine crackers for a delicious meal.
A classic homemade bowl of soup made from scratch is the ultimate dinner option. Most people think soup is hard to make and certain soups can be but sopa de fideo is super easy to make. This takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and it tastes like it simmered for hours. Packed with flavor, a bit tangy from the tomatoes and lime juice, and a bit sweet thanks to the onions.
Ingredient’s You’ll Need:
- Noodles – I used egg noodles but feel free to use angel hair pasta or spaghetti. If using spaghetti or angel hair, make sure to cut it into small pieces.
- Chicken Stock – You can use vegetable stock instead.
- Fresh Garlic
- Chili Powder – adds a bit of heat and flavor, although completely optional.
- Bay leaf
- Fresh Lime
- Salt and Pepper
Can I Add Chicken?
Of course! In fact, I encourage adding as many vegetables and protein as you like.
Let the soup cool completely before placing it in the fridge. Make sure it is completely sealed in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
If you enjoyed this simple soup recipe then you will also enjoy this Instant Pot Chicken and Vegetable Soup. This Cuban Chicken Noodle Soup is another family favorite! You can find more delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
Sopa de Fideo
- 2 cups thin noodles I used egg noodles
- 8 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock divided
- 2 large onions chopped into chunks
- 4 tomatoes chopped into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lime optional
- 2 tbsp cilantro fresh
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the onions, tomatoes, garlic cloves, and 1 cup of water into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the oil and noodles to a pot and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently.
- Add the onion and tomato mixture, cumin, bay leaf, chili powder, and oregano to the pot and stir until well combined. Cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add 7 cups of chicken or vegetable stock to the pot and mix well. Season generously with salt and pepper. Let it cook for 20 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Discard the foam on top of the soap and stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply