I was snowed in for almost 2 days because I didn’t shovel my car when the snow was nice and soft. The snow froze and then it was impossible to get my car out. It’s okay, I stayed home and made this soup and drank hot cocoa with marshmallows. Nothing Beats spicy chicken tortilla soup and hot cocoa on a snowy day. Blueberry Pancakes do come close though.
I made this with lots of veggies and served this with all the works. What are the works? Avocado, cheese, and sour cream. This soup was so hearty, spicy, and delicious. I loved it.
I like to sautee the veggies until they’re nice and soften
Blend up the veggies like a smoothie 🙂
Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This spicy tortilla soup is the perfect remedy for a cold day. Fresh ingredients, tender chicken, and a bit of spice in this soup will warm you right up!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 green chilies
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 10 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 green onion
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- In a large skillet with some vegetable oil over medium high heat cook the onions, tomatoes, green chilies, and garlic cloves for 5-7 minutes.
- Place the veggies in a blender, add 1/2 cup water, and blend it until smooth.
- Pull the veggie mixture through a sieve and place it in a large soup pot with some olive oil.
- Discard the veggie scraps.
- Add 10 cups of water to the pot and stir.
- Let the water come up to a rapid boil over medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken breasts in the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred with 2 forks.
- Place the chicken back into the pot.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, corn, beans, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Let the soup simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, cut the corn tortillas into strips and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt over the tortillas as soon as they come out of the fryer.
- Serve the soup with avocado, tortilla chips, cheese, cilantro, green onions, and lime, if desired and enjoy!