Fall-apart beef and fork-tender sweet potatoes in a rich thick sauce. This sweet potato beef stew is the ultimate comfort meal for any day of the week.
Enjoy this with creamy mashed potatoes, white fluffy rice, or Italian crusty bread!
- Sirloin Steak Tips – Feel free to use beef chuck, sirloin, or any type of stew meat.
- Sweet Potato – regular potatoes, yams, or even carrots will work. Make sure to chop them into bite-size pieces.
- Garlic – Please use fresh garlic, it makes a world of a difference.
- Water – Chicken stock, beef broth, or vegetable stock are also fine options.
- Tomato Paste
- Green Peas
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Rosemary
- All-Purpose Flour
- Red Crushed Pepper – If you like spice, definitely add red crushed pepper, otherwise omit it.
- Salt and Pepper – Beef stew can be really bland if not seasoned properly. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper. I highly recommend using Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
How to Make
Start by coating the beef with seasoned flour and shaking off any excess. Sear the beef in hot oil for 5 minutes on each side. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside. Next, you’ll want to cook the onions until they’re softened and translucent. Stir in the garlic, red crushed pepper, and tomato paste and cook for an additional 20 seconds. Make sure to scrape the browned bits in the pan. Add the water and beef back into the pot and let it come to a boil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for one hour or until the beef is fork-tender. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked through. Cook for 5-10 minutes uncovered or until the sauce thickens. Stir in the green peas and check for seasoning.
Can I Add Red Wine?
Yes, I would recommend a red dry wine. Add the wine after cooking the garlic and let it reduce by half before adding the beef.
Let the sweet potato beef stew come to room temperature and place it in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. This is a freezer-friendly recipe, Stew can be freezer for up to 3 months if stored properly. To reheat, let the beef stew thaw at room temperature and then cook it on the stove for 15-20 minutes over medium-low heat.
Sweet Potato Beef Stew
- 1 lb Sirloin Steak Tips
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 cups water or beef stock
- 1/4 cup onions diced
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp red crushed pepper optional
- 1 sprig rosemary fresh
- 1 sprig thyme fresh
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup peas
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Season 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour generously with salt and pepper. Coat the beef with the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat some oil in a large pot over high heat. Add the beef to the pot and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add more oil if needed.
- Stir in the fresh garlic, tomato paste, and red crushed pepper. Cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the beef back to the pot along with the water, rosemary, and thyme. Season generously with salt and black pepper. Let the liquid come to a boil and then cover and cook for one hour or until the beef is fork-tender.
- Once the beef is tender, add the sweet potatoes, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fully cooked through.
- Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered or until the sauce thickens. Stir in the green peas and check for seasoning. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired, and serve immediately.