My mom used to make spaghetti with ricotta and mozzarella cheese when I was a kid, so I kind of grew up eating this. Only hers was made on the stove top and the mozzarella cheese would melt with the heat of the spaghetti and sauce. I changed it up a bit. I prefer making a meat sauce and popping it in the oven to melt the cheese. The heat from the oven intensifies the flavors and I just love hot cheesy oven food.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- bunch of fresh basil
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot pot over medium low heat, add onions and cook until translucent
- Add red chili flakes and fresh minced garlic, cook until garlic turns a golden color.
- Add the beef and cook until fully browned, season with oregano, granulated garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Add the red wine, crushed tomatoes, water, brown sugar, fresh basil, stir and let it simmer covered over medium low heat for 1 hour
- Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, basil, parsley, and salt and pepper
- Place the cooked spaghetti in a casserole dish and combine with the ricotta mixture and meat sauce.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and extra parmesan cheese on top and place it in the broiler for 5-10 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese is completely melted