This coconut chicken curry is an aromatic dish that is packed with flavor and made from scratch! Serve this alongside some garlic naan and white basmati rice for the ultimate meal.
Coconut Chicken Curry is without a doubt one of my favorite weeknight quick meals. You can certainly use bone-in chicken for this curry however boneless chicken breasts cook so quickly you can have this meal on the table in less than 20 minutes.
Peas are delicious and I and throw it in almost every curry I make but you can add carrots, chickpeas, etc.
You may want to bring out a bottle of wine for this meal especially but Pellegrino or beer works here too.
I highly recommend serving this over white long grain rice and a little squeeze of lime juice.
Why this coconut chicken curry is so good
- Super easy to make and very versatile. You may adjust this recipe to your liking. This recipe is super forgiving.
- The leftovers taste better the following day. I’ve always said that Indian food leftovers always taste better the next day.
- To make this vegetarian, omit the chicken and use mushrooms, spinach, peas, and paneer.
- Packed with tons of flavor and has just the right amount of heat.
Ingredient’s you’ll need for coconut chicken curry:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Garam Masala
- Chili Powder
- Tomato Puree
- Tomato Paste
- Bay Leaves
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Fresh Cilantro (optional)
What is garam masala?
Garam masala is a popular Indian spice blend that’s used to season a lot of Indian dishes.
Should I use chicken breasts or bone-in chicken?
I highly recommend using chicken breasts if you’d like to get dinner on the table in under 45 minutes. However bone-in chicken is just as delicious but takes longer to cook.
More Indian recipes you’ll enjoy:
Make sure to watch the video down below or you may also watch it on my youtube channel.
Coconut Chicken Curry
- 3 lbs boneless chicken
- 2-3 russet potatoes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 Tsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 lime
- 1 cup peas if desired
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro if desired
- 1 small onion
- Cook the onions in a large pot over medium high heat with some oil until translucent.
- Add the garam masala, chili powder, turmeric, paprika, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and cook until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, potatoes, tomato puree, coconut milk, 1/4 cup water, bay leaves, and reduce the heat to medium.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn starch and 1 tsp water.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Serve over white long grain rice and enjoy!