Coconut Chicken Curry is without a doubt one of my favorite weeknight quick meals. You can certainly use bone in chicken for this curry however boneless chicken breasts cook so quickly you can have this meal on the table in less than 20 minutes.
I love peas and throw it in almost every curry I make but you can throw in carrots, chick peas, etc.
You may want to bring out a bottle of wine for this meal especially but Pellegrino or beer works here too 🙂
I suggest serving this over white long grain rice and a little squeeze of lime juice. I think it was a bit spicy but it’s how I prefer it. You may certainly cut back on the chili or omit it completely.
Some garlic naan would be heavenly.
Coconut Chicken Curry
This is a great weeknight meal as it cooks up in less than half and hour and is so filling and savory. Great with naan or over some rice, this will keep your family fed for quite some time.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
- 3 lbs boneless chicken
- 2-3 russet potatoes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 Tsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 lime
- 1 cup peas (if desired)
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro (if desired)
- 1 small onion
- Cook the onions in a large pot over medium high heat with some oil until translucent.
- Add the garam masala, chili powder, turmeric, paprika, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and cook until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, potatoes, tomato puree, coconut milk, 1/4 cup water, bay leaves, and reduce the heat to medium.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn starch and 1 tsp water.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Serve over white long grain rice and enjoy!