Coconut Shrimp Curry – Succulent shrimp cooked in a creamy coconut sauce with lots of spices and flavor. An easy delicious weeknight meal!
Let me introduce you to the best coconut shrimp curry recipe I’ve ever had. Indian cuisine is my all-time favorite and I find many recipes super easy to make and healthy as well. Saag Paneer and Keto Butter Chicken are some of my favorite Indian recipes but this shrimp curry is giving them a run for their money.
How to make coconut shrimp curry
The inspiration for this recipe came from my favorite Coconut Chicken Curry. I wanted a mildly spiced creamy meal to serve over white fluffy basmati rice cause it’s what I was in the mood for. Shrimp is something I always have on hand so it wasn’t hard to come up with this idea. Here’s all you have to do:
- Season the peeled and deveined shrimp with salt and set aside. Heat up a large skillet with high sides over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add the mustard seeds, cardamom seeds, green chilies, cinnamon and cook for one minute or until the mustard seeds start popping.
- Add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the turmeric and garam masala, season with salt.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, check for seasoning and then add the shrimp. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes and then add the coconut milk.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, check for seasoning and serve with fresh cilantro. That’s it. Your Indian Shrimp Curry is ready to serve!
What is garam masala?
Garam Masala is a mixture of spices, you can make it yourself if you have the following spices:
Coriander, Red Chili Powder, Cumin, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Clove, Mace, Star Anise, and Fennel.
I don’t have coconut milk what can I use instead?
You may use heavy cream or half and half instead of coconut milk.
How to serve coconut shrimp curry
Garlic Naan or Honey Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread would be phenomenal with this dish. Have you ever dipped cornbread in a spicy sauce? It soaks it right up, try it. Fresh cilantro is a must here, it gives so much flavor and life to this dish.
Coconut Shrimp Curry will be your go-to Monday night recipe every week! I make this at least once a week because it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook. What more can you ask for?
More shrimp recipes:
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Tomato and Basil Shrimp
- Shrimp Marinade
- Creamy Garlic Shrimp
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry
- Buffalo Shrimp
Coconut Shrimp Curry
- 1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 green chilies
- 3 cardamom seeds
- 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- bunch of fresh cilantro
- Season the shrimp with kosher salt and set aside.
- Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the mustard seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom seeds, green chilies, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and ginger/garlic paste, cook until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the garam masala, turmeric powder, and season with salt.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and check for seasoning.
- Add the shrimp, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for an additional minute uncovered.
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired and enjoy!