Learn how to make an easy espresso martini with minimal ingredients and an extra foamy top! This popular after-dinner drink is strong, sweet, and a coffee lover’s dream. Serve it chilled and topped with coffee beans!
Invented in the 1980s, espresso martinis don’t taste much like the traditional French martinis, because they don’t contain any gin or vermouth. However, they are still made with alcohol and served in a classic martini glass! Containing a strong coffee flavor, they’re smooth, delicious, and so easy to make. Whip up a batch for your next holiday party and impress all your guests.
- Vodka – Use whatever vodka you like best or have on hand.
- Kahlua – Any similar coffee liqueur can also be used. Just make sure it has a bold taste!
- Espresso – Given that the ingredient list is so short, opting for high-quality espresso is totally worth the splurge! Whatever you do, just don’t use instant coffee. Trust me, it won’t taste the same.
- Simple Syrup – Included to add a sweet flavor to the drink and balance out the bitterness of the alcohol and espresso. You can easily find pre-made simple syrup at the grocery store. Or, make your own by boiling equal amounts of water and sugar and letting it cool.
How to Make A Delicious Espresso Martini
Super easy to make, all you’ll need for this recipe is a cocktail shaker and ice!
- Brew the coffee. Prepare your espresso as usual, and set it in the fridge to chill.
- Combine the ingredients. Fill your cocktail shaker with ice. Then, add all of the ingredients, and shake vigorously to combine.
- Serve. Strain the liquid into a chilled martini glass, top it with 3 coffee beans, and enjoy!
- Make sure to cool the espresso completely, or it’ll melt the ice! For quicker cooling, place it in the freezer ahead of time.
- Shake the cocktail hard to get that foamy top we’re looking to achieve.
- Once the ingredients have been shaken and combined, pour and strain quickly over your martini glass for the best texture.
- For an extra foamy top, add an egg white to the shaker. Or, add a drop or two of cocktail foam, which you can buy online.
- Prepare in advance, and pop your martini glass in the freezer for an extra cool drink.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are espresso martinis served with coffee beans on top?
The tradition of the 3 beans comes from serving Sambuca in Italy and is meant to represent health, wealth, and happiness.
Is espresso martini a strong drink?
Of course, you can always adjust the amount of alcohol used to make this drink more or less strong. However, espresso martinis generally have a bold taste and can be very strong.
Is there a lot of caffeine in this drink?
Yes, depending on the type and how much espresso you use.
Can I make this drink ahead of time?
You can prepare espresso martinis up to a few hours in advance. Just combine the ingredients in a pitcher, and leave out the ice. Then, let the drink chill in the fridge, give it a stir, and add ice just before you’re ready to serve.
More Easy Drink Recipes to Try
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
- Cocktail Shaker
- Liquid Measurer
- 1 ounce espresso chilled
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce kahlua or any coffee liqueror
- ½ ounce simple syrup *check notes*
- coffee beans, for garnish
- Prepare your espresso as usual, and set it in the fridge to chill.
- Fill your cocktail shaker with ice. Then, add all of the ingredients, and shake vigorously to combine.
- Strain the liquid into a chilled martini glass, top it with 3 coffee beans, and enjoy!