These were my favorite cupcakes when I was a kid minus the chocolate frosting. I despised chocolate anything. Now chocolate holds the number 1 spot in my heart. I love making funfetti cupcakes, they’re so much FUN to make 🙂 My little niece is crazy about these. I decided to make these with a chocolate buttercream frosting because I already shared a confetti cake with a vanilla buttercream frosting. I have no idea why some people call it confetti and others funfetti. So I just take turns with it. Sometimes I call it funfetti and other times confetti. Let’s talk about the chocolate frosting. OH MY. I use this chocolate frosting for almost every chocolate cupcake and chocolate cake I make. It’s that good.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and set aside.
- In a large separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract, set aside.
- In a standing mixer, mix the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and the wet ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Fold in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop the batter evenly into your muffin tin and bake for 16-18 minutes.
- To make the frosting, mix the butter for about 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Add the unsweetened cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, milk, and mix on medium-high speed for about 3-4 minutes or until nice and fluffy. Use a piping bag or offset spatula to frost the cooled cupcakes and Enjoy!