Honey Garlic Shrimp is one of those weeknight meals that can be easily prepared in less than 10 minutes. Serve with brown rice, veggies, a glass of wine if you’d like, and call it a night.
I like to sear the shrimp over high heat for 20-30 seconds on each side to get a nice crust. I then like to stir in some softened butter and fresh garlic before adding the sauce. My secret ingredient is sesame oil. Most recipes for honey garlic shrimp calls for corn starch but I don’t add any because if you let the sauce simmer for a minute or so it will thicken up.
Gotta have butter! Am I right?
Fresh garlic is always invited to the party.
That’s the crust I was talking about…I promise they aren’t overcooked! If you’re not a fan of seared shrimp then just toss the raw shrimp along with the sauce and simmer until done.
Honey Garlic Shrimp
This is a great dinner for date night or for a family night in for the week. These cook up quickly, so keep an eye on it to prevent the sear from becoming a burn. There’s a light spice in there from the chili flakes. Serve with rice and you’ve got a better than take out experience!
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp softened butter
- 1 tbsp scallions (optional)
- salt to taste
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili flakes. Set aside.
- Cook the shrimp in a large skillet over high heat with some oil, for 20 seconds on each side.
- Stir in the softened butter and fresh garlic, cook until fragrant.
- Add the honey soy mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with scallions and serve over brown rice, if desired.