These instant pot Sloppy Joes are so easy to make. Ground beef seasoned perfectly and served on toasted brioche buns with cheese. Just like mom used to make them when we were kids!
What’s better than a delicious Sloppy Joe sandwich with some classic lemonade on a hot summer day? Nothing! But guess what? You can eat these year-round and the kiddos will be begging for seconds!
What Do Sloppy Joes Taste Like?
Sloppy Joes are an American classic that is supposed to taste a little sweet and tangy. The ketchup gives it a sour taste while the brown sugar gives it a nice sweet taste. Most people add green or red bell peppers. I love adding American cheese to my sandwich but that of course is optional.
Can I Make These On The Stovetop Instead?
Absolutely. In fact, these Sloppy Joes are made on the stovetop from start to finish.
Top Tips For The Perfect Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- Use 80/20 ground beef for best results.
- Remove about 70 percent of the excess oil once the beef mixture is done cooking, but leave some behind for some extra flavor. Sloppy Joes are meant to be messy and a bit greasy.
- If you want it spicy, add some cayenne pepper or red crushed pepper.
What To Serve These With…
Although I love to serve sloppy Joes with potato chips or French fries, you can also serve these with spicy potato salad!
You can leave the instant pot on the “keep warm” function for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, I recommend placing it in an airtight container and letting it cool down before placing it in the fridge. This can last for up to 3 days in the fridge.
If you enjoyed these mouth-watering instant pot sloppy Joes then you will also enjoy this Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich. These ham and cheese sliders are another favorite! You can also find other delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb ground beef 80/20
- 1/4 cup onions diced
- 1/4 cup green bell peppers diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 brioche buns
- 4 slices American cheese optional
- Press the "saute function" and add 2 tbsp of oil to the instant pot.
- Add the ground beef to the instant pot and break it up using a wooden spoon. Let the ground beef brown completely. This should take 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onions and peppers, cook for 1 minute. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 20 seconds.
- Stir in the brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, onion powder, ketchup, mustard, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and water. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press the "cancel" function. Lock the lid and seal the valve. Press the "pressure cook" function and cook for 5 minutes. It will take some time for the instant pot to come to pressure.
- Once the 5 minutes are up, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Once the 5 minutes are up, release any remaining pressure. Open the lid, and stir the meat mixture.
- Remove any excess oil and check for seasoning.
- Serve on toasted brioche buns and cheese, if desired.