My potato and egg salad version using most of my favorite ingredients. Including my favorite, roasted fresh garlic.
This potato salad is made with basically most of my favorite ingredients. I roasted the garlic and it gives it such incredible flavor. Whish the roasted garlic into the mayo and mustard mixture for the ultimate taste. You may use sweet Vidalia onions or red instead of scallions.
Add as much or as little egg as you’d like. I like a lot. Capers sounds weird but it works. I threw a couple tbsp in. I always use Hellman’s mayo but feel free to use Miracle Whip if you like it sweet. If you’re a Hellman’s fan like me but like a little sweetness in your potato salad add some sweet relish or a pinch of sugar.
Potato and Egg Salad
- 8 Yukon gold potatoes
- 5 large eggs
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp dijon grainy mustard
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 scallions
- 2 tbsp capers optional
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add chopped potatoes to a large pot of water and cook until tender.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Place them in cold water, peel, and chop.
- To make the roasted garlic, add the garlic to an oven-safe ramekin and drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, cover, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once done baking, peel the garlic, mince, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo, grainy dijon mustard, vinegar, and roasted garlic.
- Fold in the cooked potatoes and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the eggs, scallions, capers, and smoked paprika.
- Garnish with additional scallions and sliced boiled eggs, if desired.