Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese is mac and cheese without a roux. At least that’s what I’ve been told. Don’t shoot the messenger. If you’ve ever been to a soul food restaurant then you’ve probably had Southern mac and cheese.
Southern baked mac and cheese is usually baked for a long period of time. I like the fact that you don’t have to continuously stir how you would a bechamel sauce. You pretty much throw everything into a bowl and mix.
I like to use cheddar and muenster but feel free to use your favorite cheeses. The secret to mac and cheese, in my opinion, is good quality cheese and good seasoning. Nobody likes bland mac and cheese.
Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Super rich and creamy, this mac & cheese is super cheesy and rich with a little bit of a kick from the mustard.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (cooked)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 24 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tbsp butter (cut into pieces)
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces Muenster cheese
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter an oven safe baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the evaporated milk, whole milk, eggs, dijon mustard, sour cream, 6 ounces cheddar cheese, muenster cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Grate the fresh garlic into the mixture.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese mixture and mix well.
- Place the macaroni into the greased baking dish.
- Stir in the remaining butter and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 35 mins or until golden brown.