This is the ultimate buttermilk cornbread recipe made with just a handful of ingredients in under 30 minutes! Serve warm with butter and honey for breakfast or enjoy with some homemade chili for dinner!
Cornbread can be a bit controversial since everyone likes to claim their grandmother’s recipe is the absolute best! Some people enjoy actual corn kernels in their cornbread, some like it sweet, some don’t, etc. This cornbread is super moist, buttery, perfectly sweetened, with crispy edges. I can’t get enough of it!
Can I Use Regular Milk Instead of Buttermilk?
No. I highly recommend using store-bought buttermilk. Thick rich buttermilk will take this to the next level. You’re just going to have to trust me on this one! If you use regular milk, it may come out dry.
How Do I Get Those Crispy Edges?
Two tips, make sure to preheat the skillet for about 10 minutes before adding the cornbread batter to it. Add some butter to the hot skillet and then bake for 20 minutes and broil for 1-2 minutes. That will give you the most delicious crunchy bits ever! Although if you prefer a light cornbread with not a lot of color or crisp, simply bake for 20 minutes.
Do I Need an Iron Skillet to Make This?
No, I used a 10.25″ iron black skillet but feel free to use any oven-safe 10-inch baking dish. But if you own a cast iron skillet, please use it!
- Do not overmix.
- Feel free to add jalapenos and 1/4 tsp of chili powder to make it spicy.
- Enjoy warm with butter and lots of honey! It’s so good. Better than pancakes.
Cornbread can certainly be made ahead of time. Let it come to room temperature before placing it in the fridge or freezer. Although, I highly recommend keeping it covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil at room temperature. It can last for up to 2-3 days at room temperature and in the fridge. It will last for up to 3 months in the freezer if wrapped tightly with foil and placed in a freezer bag.
If you enjoyed this buttermilk cornbread then you will love this honey jalapeno cheddar cornbread. These ham and cheese corn muffins are another favorite! You can also find other delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
The Ultimate Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1/2 cup unsalted melted butter plus 1 tbsp 1 stick + 1 tbsp
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place the iron skillet in the oven and let it warm up for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and sugar to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cornmeal. Mix until well incorporated but do not overmix.
- Add about 1 tbsp of butter to the hot skillet. Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then turn on the broil function and let it bake for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the top is nice and golden.
- Serve warm, with butter, honey, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply