This low carb and keto-friendly cabbage lasagna recipe will be an instant hit at the dinner table! Even the kids will enjoy this cheesy comforting meal.
This past week I’ve made creamed corn and four-cheese mac and cheese, therefore, I just had to share a comforting lighter recipe. Cabbage lasagna is keto-friendly and low carb but still so rich and delicious!
Think about it, it has cheese, sauce, and delicious beef. How can it not taste amazing?
Growing up I wasn’t a fan of cabbage but nowadays I’m completely obsessed with it. Making lasagna may seem tedious but it makes fantastic leftovers.
If you put your heart and soul into this cabbage lasagna recipe, you won’t have to cook the following day. Although I enjoy cooking, nothing makes me happier than leftovers for the following day.
Ingredient’s you’ll need for low carb cabbage lasagna:
- Sugar-Free Crushed Tomatoes
- Ricotta Cheese
- Granulated Garlic
- Ground Beef
- Fresh Basil
- Red Crushed Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Dried Oregano
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Top tips for the ultimate low carb cabbage lasagna:
- Make sure you pat dry the cabbage leaves with a paper towel otherwise they’ll release the water into the lasagna.
- Use full fat ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
Why this low carb cabbage lasagna is so good:
- It’s packed with flavor and super easy to make.
- Makes the best leftovers ever!
- Although it’s super-rich and filled with cheese and sauce, it’s a lot lighter than a standard lasagna made with pasta.
How to freeze lasagna:
Let the lasagna come to room temperature before freezing. You may slice the lasagna into 12 servings and place them in small airtight containers. Or you may freeze the entire lasagna. Make sure you place the lasagna in an airtight container and freeze up to 2 months.
More low carb recipes:
Cabbage Lasagna (low carb)
- 1 Large Cabbage
- 40 ounces low sugar or sugar-free crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup mushrooms
- Fill a large pot with water. Bring to a boil and add salt.
- Peel and discard the top 2-3 leaves from the cabbage and then cut the core.
- Place the cabbage in the boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Let the cabbage cool, pull the leaves, and then pat dry well with paper towels.
- Heat a large skillet with some olive oil.
- Add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the chili flakes and fresh garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the beef to the skillet crumbling it with your fingers or break it up using a wooden spoon.
- Brown the beef completely and then season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add the crushed tomatoes , add about 1 cup of water (optional) and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the mushrooms.
- Cover and simmer the meat sauce over low heat for 1 1/2 hour or until the beef is fork tender.
- Once the sauce is almost done, get started on the ricotta mixture.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the ricotta cheese, fresh basil, parmesan cheese, granulated garlic, egg, salt, and pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Ladle some meat sauce on a 9x13 baking dish then place a layer of cabbage leaves. Ladle some meat sauce over the cabbage leaves, then a layer of ricotta cheese, layer with fresh mozzarella and then repeat steps until you reach the top of the baking dish. Cover with shredded mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and dried oregano if desired.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Let the lasagna sit for a minimum of 30 minutes, serve and enjoy!