Thus low carb and keto friendly cabbage lasagna recipe will be an instant hit at the dinner table! Even the kids will enjoy this cheesy comforting meal.
This past month I’ve made creamed corn, creamed spinach, Roasted Turkey, etc. So I decided to sneak in this cabbage low carb lasagna recipe after indulging all month long. This recipe is incredible and trust me you won’t even miss the pasta.
I remember the first time I made this, was as a bit scared and almost regretting omitting the pasta. However, this lasagna is still so rich. I made a very meaty meat sauce to which plenty of garlic and mushrooms were added as well.
You don't have to sacrifice flavor if you're on a diet. This Cabbage Lasagna recipe is low carb and keto diet friendly. It's cheesy and saucy and it tastes just like the real thing!
- 1 Large Cabbage
- 40 ounces low sugar or sugar-free crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup mushrooms
- Fill a large pot with water. Bring to a boil and add salt.
- Peel and discard the top 2-3 leaves from the cabbage and then cut the core.
- Place the cabbage in the boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Let the cabbage cool, pull the leaves, and then pat dry well with paper towels.
- Heat a large skillet with some olive oil.
- Add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the chili flakes and fresh garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the beef to the skillet crumbling it with your fingers or break it up using a wooden spoon.
- Brown the beef completely and then season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add the crushed tomatoes , add about 1 cup of water (optional) and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the mushrooms.
- Cover and simmer the meat sauce over low heat for 1 1/2 hour or until the beef is fork tender.
- Once the sauce is almost done, get started on the ricotta mixture.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the ricotta cheese, fresh basil, parmesan cheese, granulated garlic, egg, salt, and pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Ladle some meat sauce on a 9x13 baking dish then place a layer of cabbage leaves. Ladle some meat sauce over the cabbage leaves, then a layer of ricotta cheese, layer with fresh mozzarella and then repeat steps until you reach the top of the baking dish. Cover with shredded mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and dried oregano if desired.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Let the lasagna sit for a minimum of 30 minutes, serve and enjoy!