Even though this is technically fried chicken, I consider Chicken Bruschetta on the lighter side. Don’t laugh. Anything that involves cold tomatoes, onions, basil, and balsamic is automatically pushed to the fresh and light category. Of course, you may grill or roast the chicken and then top it off with the tomato mixture, but a crispy hot chicken breast would really hit the spot.
It’s also much more filling. I had this for lunch the other day with a big goat cheese and walnut salad and I skipped dinner that night. Ok, I didn’t skip dinner but I only had scrambled eggs and toast. Chicken Bruschetta is something I love having for lunch. It took about 12 minutes to make.
The tomatoes, basil, and onions were so fresh. That’s definitely key here. Fresh ingredients. I cooked the balsamic until it reduced by half and then drizzled it over the chicken, so so good.
Just want to show you that freshness 😉
Fresh basil, onions, and tomatoes makes this delicious breaded chicken taste fresh and light!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice onions and tomatoes into cubes and place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Gently roll the basil leaves into a cigar and thinly slice the rolled basil, place in the bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar in a saucepan and cook for 3 minutes or until it reduces by half.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Season the breadcrumbs and all-purpose flour with salt and pepper.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a large bowl.
- Dredge both sides of the chicken in the seasoned flour, dip it in the egg, then coat the chicken on both sides with the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Fry the chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the fried chicken breast, drizzle the balsamic glaze, garnish with basil if desired, and enjoy!