I decided to make this a little different from the original chicken cordon bleu. I am not a fan of swiss cheese so instead, I used gouda cheese. I also love honey ham so I used that instead of plain ham. You may use any type of ham and cheese you’d like. I can’t explain in words how much I love gouda and honey ham. It works here. I don’t regret swapping out regular ham and swiss for gouda and honey ham. Not one bit. I also made a sauce because sauces make everything better.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Crispy and tender chicken with ham and cheese served with a delicious parmesan mustard sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 people
- Cuisine: American, French
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 slices ham
- 1/4 cup gouda (or 4 slices of swiss cheese)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
Dijon Parmesan Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp chives
- salt to taste
- Wrap the chicken breasts with plastic and pound it to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Smear dijon mustard on only one side of each chicken breast.
- Place the ham and cheese on top of the chicken breast, enough to cover the top surface of the chicken.
- With the plastic underneath the chicken breasts, roll the chicken breasts starting from the longer end.
- Refrigerate the chicken for 15 minutes.
- Heat some frying oil in a large skillet.
- Remove the plastic from the chicken and secure the chicken breasts with toothpicks.
- Coat the chicken in all-purpose flour, removing any excess flour.
- Dip the chicken in the beaten eggs and then coat the chicken in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the chicken for 1-2 minutes on each side and then bake for 12-15 minutes or until done.
- Remove the toothpicks.
- To make the sauce, melt some butter in a small skillet.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 10 seconds.
- Add the all-purpose flour and cook for an additional 40 seconds.
- Add the milk and whisk continuously until it is lump free.
- Add the dijon mustard, parmesan cheese, chives, and season with salt.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and enjoy!