I was craving creamed spinach so badly and I also had chicken in the fridge so this is what I came up with. It was so creamy and delicious. I used gorgonzola but cream cheese or even mozzarella would be awesome for this dish.
You may also roast or grill the chicken. I’m not a fan of adding raw chicken to a prepared sauce and letting it cook together, just gives me the creeps 🙁
Plus I wanted the chicken to have a nice golden color or reddish in my case.
Mushrooms and artichokes would’ve been amazing but I didn’t have any. You may omit the chili powder if you’d like but I season my chicken with salt, pepper, and chili powder 80 percent of the time so please don’t be alarmed if you see red chicken in my chicken lasagna.
So delicious and simple to make!
Serve this with brown rice and a glass of wine, yes, yes, do it!
Creamy Spinach Chicken
Perfectly seasoned chicken with a creamy spinach is a delicious date night recipe or easy family dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 lb chicken
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp gorgonzola
- 1 cup milk
- Heat a large skillet with some olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the spinach, cover and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the spinach from the skillet and set aside.
- Add some extra olive oil to the skillet and cook the onions for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in the fresh garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the butter, once the butter melts stir in the flour and let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the milk while stirring and then let it come up to a boil.
- Once it comes up to a boil, reduce the heat to low.
- While the sauce thickens, season the chicken with salt, pepper, and chili powder, on both sides.
- In a medium sized skillet cook the chicken with some vegetable over high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Once the milk mixture thickens, add the spinach and gorgonzola and then turn off the heat.
- Stir until the gorgonzola melts and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the sauce and simmer on low heat for about 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes and enjoy!