These crockpot mashed potatoes are slow-cooked to perfection! Russet potatoes simmered in chicken stock, mashed with butter and sour cream, then topped off with caramelized onions. The ultimate holiday side dish!
Other crockpot favorites include crockpot sweet potato casserole and crockpot mac and cheese.
Why I Love These Crockpot Mashed Potatoes With Caramelized Onions
- It requires only 6 ingredients!
- The caramelized onions and garlic powder add so much flavor.
- The mashed potatoes are super light, airy, and fluffy.
- There is no boiling involved.
Potatoes – I used russet potatoes but feel free to use any type of potatoes such as Yukon gold, red potatoes, or baby yellow potatoes.
Onions – I highly recommend using Vidalia onions for this recipe. Vidalia onions are nice and sweet and are my favorite for caramelizing.
- If you like your mashed potatoes super creamy, add a generous amount of heavy cream or whole milk.
- Take your time caramelizing the onions, it should take about 35-40 minutes while stirring frequently. I like to get started on the onions while the potatoes cook.
- Use salted butter instead of unsalted butter!
- Not a fan of sour cream? Use mascarpone cheese or cream cheese instead.
- Garnish with fresh chives.
Can I Make These On The Stovetop Instead?
Yes, of course. Follow this recipe for creamy mashed potatoes, and then top them off with caramelized onions! It’ll be just as good.
What Can I Serve This With ?
You can serve this with creamy smothered chicken thighs and honey roasted carrots for a restaurant-quality meal.
More Crockpot Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Crockpot Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
- Slow Cooker
- 5 lbs Russet Potatoes Peeled and chopped into 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup butter Softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Vidalia onions Thinly sliced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- heavy cream or whole milk To taste
- Peel and chop the potatoes into 2-inch cubes.
- Place the potatoes, chicken stock, and garlic powder in the crockpot. Mix, cover, and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- While the potatoes cook, add oil to a large skillet. Heat over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and season with salt. Cook the onions for 35-40 minutes while stirring frequently. Once the onions are nice and caramelized, remove them from the heat.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking and are fork-tender, mash with a potato masher or an electric mixer. Add the butter, sour cream, and season generously with salt and pepper. If you want them extra creamy, add milk or heavy cream.
- Top the mashed potatoes with the caramelized onions.
- Serve immediately or keep on warm until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply