Enjoy these delicious instant pot refried beans on a burrito, tostada, or with some yellow fluffy rice. Made with just a handful of ingredients!
What Are Refried Beans?
Refried beans are pinto beans cooked until tender and then fried and mashed. A classic Mexican or Tex-Mex side dish that is normally served alongside Spanish Rice.
Ingredient’s You’ll Need
- Dried Pinto Beans – Make sure you rinse and pick through them and discard any rocks or debris.
- Water – You may use chicken stock if you prefer.
- Chicken Bouillon Powder
- Bay Leaf
- Chili Powder – This will not make the beans spicy. It will only add flavor!
- Salt and Pepper
Top Tips For The Perfect Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Season the beans with salt and pepper generously after cooking them.
- Serve these with shredded cheese and sour cream. You can even do a squeeze of fresh lime and cilantro.
- You may use an immersion blender to mash the beans but I highly recommend using a potato masher instead.
What Can I Serve This With?
Although you may certainly enjoy this on its own. I highly recommend serving these hearty refried beans with some fajitas or you can even serve it as a dip with some tortilla chips.
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb dried pinto beans rinsed
- 1 onion finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water
- 4 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to the instant pot and press the "saute" function. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, bay leaf, and chicken bouillon powder. Cook for 15 seconds.
- Add the rinsed pinto beans and 6 cups of water. Stir and then place the lid on top and make sure to seal the valve. Press the "pressure cook" function and cook for 40 minutes.
- Once the 40 minutes are up, do a natural release for 15 minutes. Make sure to release all of the steam before opening.
- Remove the beans and liquid from the instant pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the instant pot and press the "saute" function.
- Once the oil heats up, add the beans along with about 1/4 cup of the liquid. Discard the rest of the liquid.
- Mash the beans using a potato masher or the back of a ladle. Season the beans generously with salt and pepper. Let the beans cook for 5-10 minutes or until they thicken to your desired consistency.
- Enjoy with cheese and sour cream!
- The cooking time does not include the time it takes the instant pot to come to pressure.
- Read the instant pot manual before using it.