Spanish rice (also known as Mexican Rice) is an easy side dish that takes less than 30 minutes to make!
The ultimate one-pot meal that can be served with Beans, Carne con Papas, or Enchiladas.
Spanish Rice is that delicious side that Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants serve with their classic dishes like Carne Asada Tacos or Shredded Beef Enchiladas. After playing around with several different recipes, this is the one I highly recommend you give a try.
This Spanish rice recipe is super easy and there is no blending involved. Although a lot of recipes require for you to blend the onions and tomatoes in a food processor, I don’t find that step necessary. I don’t like using fresh tomatoes because it turns the rice a little watery. Tomato paste is what I prefer using.
How to Make Spanish Rice
Making Spanish rice is incredibly easy, this is all you have to do:
- Drizzle a large skillet with high sides with some olive oil.
- Saute the onions, garlic, tomato paste, and spices.
- Stir in the rice and let it toast for about 1 minute.
- Add the water and let it come up to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
Can I add vegetables to the rice?
Absolutely. Corn, carrots, and peas are a wonderful addition to Spanish rice.
Why is my rice so sticky?
Too much liquid and overcooking the rice can give you a sticky mess instead of a light and fluffy rice.
I also tried adding salsa and taco seasoning and was not a fan. Sometimes the easiest recipes are truly the best recipes. Fresh lime and fresh cilantro are almost mandatory here. Highly recommend adding a fresh squeeze of lime and garnishing with cilantro once the rice is fully cooked through.
More Delicious Sides You’ll Enjoy:
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Chicken Bouillon Powder Caldo de Pollo en Polvo
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Add 3 tbsp of olive oil to a large skillet with high sides.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken bouillon powder, and cumin.
- Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the water, season with salt, and let it come up to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- 20 minutes later, use a fork to fluff the rice and serve immediately.
- Serve with fresh lime and cilantro.
Martha Salman says
The best recipe will be following you love this recipe