Spanish rice (also known as Mexican Rice) is an easy side dish that takes less than 30 minutes to make!
The ultimate one-pot meal that can be served with Beans, Carne con Papas, or Enchiladas.
Spanish Rice is that delicious side that Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants serve with their classic dishes like Carne Asada Tacos or Shredded Beef Enchiladas. After playing around with several different recipes, this is the one I highly recommend you give a try.
This Spanish rice recipe is super easy and there is no blending involved. Although a lot of recipes require for you to blend the onions and tomatoes in a food processor, I don’t find that step necessary. I don’t like using fresh tomatoes because it turns the rice a little watery. Tomato paste is what I prefer using.
I also tried adding salsa and taco seasoning and was not a fan. Sometimes the easiest recipes are truly the best recipes. Fresh lime and fresh cilantro are almost mandatory here. Highly recommend adding a fresh squeeze of lime and garnishing with cilantro once the rice is fully cooked through.
How to Make Spanish Rice
Making Spanish rice is incredibly easy, this is all you have to do:
Drizzle a large skillet with high sides with some olive oil.
Saute the onions, garlic, tomato paste, and spices.
Stir in the rice and let it toast for about 1 minute.
Add the water and let it come up to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
Can I add vegetables to the rice?
Absolutely. Corn, carrots, and peas are a wonderful addition to Spanish rice.
Why is my rice so sticky?
Too much liquid and overcooking the rice can give you a sticky mess instead of a light and fluffy rice.
More Delicious Sides You’ll Enjoy:
This easy Spanish rice recipe is the ultimate side dish and calls for only a handful of ingredients.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Chicken Bouillon Powder (Caldo de Pollo en Polvo)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Add 3 tbsp of olive oil to a large skillet with high sides.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken bouillon powder, and cumin.
- Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the water, season with salt, and let it come up to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- 20 minutes later, use a fork to fluff the rice and serve immediately.
- Serve with fresh lime and cilantro.
Do not use basmati rice.
Keywords: Spanish Rice