If you want a recipe that makes you feel like you’re on vacation, give this Jamaican Jerk Chicken a try! Completely coated in multiple spices, this chicken will rock your world with flavor. Finish up that recipe with a coat of pineapple sauce and you’ve got a dish everyone will be obsessed with.
I know I’ve said that I have a favorite chicken recipe, but in all actuality, it’s impossible to choose. There are so many ways you can use chicken and how delicious every single one of those recipes ends up being. I mean, how could you possibly choose between this recipe, Chicken Fried Steak, or BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches? It’s not an easy choice and usually comes down to what I have the most ingredients for.
It’s an unforgettable dish that’s unique in flavor and is perfect for mixing up the usual meals you’re used to. I highly recommend using chicken thighs and chicken legs for this recipe. Most people prepare their jerk chicken with allspice, soy sauce, green onions, and scotch bonnet peppers. I decided to do it a little differently and I have no regrets. This recipe works and I’m sure you’re going to love how easy it is.
How to Make Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Prep the chicken – Remove skin and submerge in water. Add ¼ cup salt and one lime to the water. Massage water into the chicken for about 5 minutes. Dump and repeat the salt and lime cleaning with clean water. Allow chicken to dry.
- Season the chicken – Poke holes in the chicken and add it to a bowl. Massage each seasoning into the chicken one at a time in this order: Accent, Greek, Mrs. Dash, garlic, Walkerswood jerk seasoning, and browning sauce. Cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- Roast chicken – Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and place the chicken pieces on a baking sheet. Bake for 1.5 hours then flip and bake for another hour.
- Make the pineapple sauce – Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Coat on chicken for the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Serve – Garnish with fresh cilantro, lime wedges, and green onions. Serve the Jamaican Jerk Chicken over rice or by itself and enjoy it!
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Storage – Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. I suggest wrapping plastic before freezing as well. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to a month.
- Reheating – When storing in the freezer, let the chicken thaw before attempting to reheat it. To reheat, simply toss in the oven for a few minutes until warmed through or in the microwave.
- Keep it from drying out – When reheating the chicken, especially in the microwave, it can be easy to dry it out. In order to avoid this, try heating up the chicken covered with a moist paper towel. This allows the chicken to soak up some of that moisture instead of getting rid of the moisture it had.
- How to use the pineapple sauce – I usually coat the chicken with a small portion of the sauce, ten minutes before it’s pulled out of the oven. I then use the rest to flavor each individual plate. However, you can use it how you prefer.
- Adjust spices to your personal taste.
Is Jerk Chicken Spicy?
This all depends on the recipe however, jerk chicken commonly has a little kick to it. It’s not usually super spicy, but any recipe can be made mild or spicier depending on what you prefer. If you plan on ordering it in a restaurant or eating it at someone’s home, you may expect a spicy dish.
What Does Jerk Chicken Taste Like?
The exact taste is hard to explain since it’s unique and very bold. Jerk chicken is known for its very intense flavor that’s both spicy and smoky. There’s always a lot of garlic involved along with other fragrant spices and flavors. Think BBQ chicken with a spicier, bolder flavor.
What To Serve This With?
You may serve this with white rice, black beans, and fried plantains. However, I personally love to serve this with white fluffy rice, and some pineapple sauce drizzled on top.
Once you make this Jamaican jerk chicken recipe, you’ll never want to make chicken any other way. This recipe is great and I’m sure you and your entire family will enjoy it!
More Chicken Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Keto Cajun Chicken Taquitos
- Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas
- Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta
- Spaghetti Squash with Garlic Chicken
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 5 lb chicken leg quarters
- 2 tbsp accent seasoning
- 2 tbsp Greek seasoning
- 3 tbsp Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning Blend Salt-Free
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp walkers wood traditional jerk seasoning sauce
- 2 tbsp kitchen bouquet browning sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp walkers wood traditional jerk seasoning sauce
- Once the chicken is cleaned and dried, poke holes into the chicken and place it in a bowl.
- Massage the chicken with the accent seasoning, Greek seasoning, Mrs. Dash seasoning, minced garlic, Walker's wood jerk seasoning and lastly the kitchen bouquet browning seasoning. Cover the chicken with saran wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F and let the chicken sit at room termperature uncovered for 20-30 minutes.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish and bake for 1.5 hours. Flip the chicken over and cook for an additional one hour or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
- To make the pineapple sauce, mix the ketchup, pineapple juice, barbecue sauce, and 1 tbsp of walkers wood traditional jerk seasoning ssauce.
- Brush the chicken with the pineapple sauce and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with fresh cilantro, lime wedges, pineapple sauce, and white rice, if desired. Enjoy!