BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches are extremely easy and quick to put together! Served on toasted buns and topped off with crunchy Coleslaw, these are a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
More summer BBQ recipes include BBQ Chicken Nachos, Instant Pot Chicken Wings, and Baked Honey BBQ Wings!
Picky eaters in your family? No worries. Modify these to everyone’s liking. Not a fan of coleslaw? Add some cheese.
Not a fan of coleslaw or cheese? Serve it with some corn on the cob and leave out the buns. Juicy pulled chicken simmered in spices and BBQ sauce is a win at every summer event.
Did I mention you can serve these as sliders? For this recipe, I used a store bought Hickory Smoked BBQ Sauce but feel free to use any kind you’d like.
Ingredients you’ll need for BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches:
- Chicken Breasts
- Good Quality BBQ Sauce
- Fresh Garlic
- Granulated Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Toasted Buns
Can I make these bbq pulled chicken sandwiches in the Instant Pot?
You certainly can. Although chicken breasts cook extremely quickly on the stovetop.
What type of BBQ sauce should I use?
I recommend using a Hickory Smoked BBQ Sauce for this recipe, a lot of folks don’t enjoy BBQ Sauces that are too sweet or spicy so a plain one would work best for a large gathering.
What other toppings besides coleslaw can I use?
Cheddar cheese, jalapenos, or pickles work wonderfully.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Make sure you remove all the fat from the chicken thighs while you shred the chicken.
Especially if cooking for a crowd. For many years I avoided pulled chicken sandwiches because a lot of them tend to be very fatty.
If you enjoy the extra fat then, by all means, leave it in. I will say that chicken thighs are a good choice of meat because it is super juicy but keep in mind that you will have to cook chicken thighs for a longer period of time.
How to make BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches
It’s super easy to make, here’s how you make these:
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, oregano, and paprika.
- Saute the onions and garlic in a large skillet with some olive oil and cook until translucent.
- Place the seasoned chicken in the skillet with the onions and garlic.
- Pour the barbecue sauce in the skillet, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Once the 25 minutes are up, shred the chicken using two forks and then place the chicken back in the skillet. Let the chicken simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns.
More sandwich recipes:
- Meatball Parmesan Sandwich
- Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Grilled Shrimp Po’Boy Sandwich
BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 2 cups BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Toasted Buns
- 2 cups coleslaw optional
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, granulated garlic, and onion powder.
- Add the olive oil and onions to a large skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 20 seconds.
- Add the chicken and BBQ sauce to the skillet, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and shred with two forks, place the shredded chicken back into the skillet and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns if desired.
Leave a Reply